Ecotek Power Boost - any thoughts?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Q4Legend

Ecotek Power Boost - any thoughts?

Post by Q4Legend »

reading the (many) reviews, this looks ideal for those of us with older cars (75,000 on my 306XT).
http://www.ecotekplc.com/power_boost.htm
Can anyone actually recommend it / does anyone know of anyone who has actually tried it?
Does it live up to it's claims?
Thanks
Stuart McB

Post by Stuart McB »

Yep! have heard of these befor. Another site I'm on for 4X4's (Frontera's) a couple of guys have fitted them. Both reckon they have gained only about 5mpg more but it has smoothed out any flat spots through the gears when pulling. For 5mpg it don't relly seem worth the out lay. Then again ona 4X4 it could be worth the bother.
Q4Legend

Post by Q4Legend »

Stuart,
I think you're referring to the CB-26P device which is also made by Ecotek.
The power boost is a de-coker that feeds into your air intake and 'cleans' the engine.
It's £25 (or there abouts) but recommended for cars with over 20,000.
Just wondered if anyone has actually tried it (the reviews look pretty impressive)
Cheers
rossd

Post by rossd »

Tell you what, I could come over and drill a hole in your inlet manifold for free, because thats all this so called magic device does.
Save your money and don't bother, anybody with any knowledge of engines and how they work will tell you the same.
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

These sort of things are a waste of money if you ask me.
You’d be better off putting in a few litres of one of the new ‘premium’ fuels (which are supposed to help clean the engine) give the car a good thrashing through the gears and spend the rest of the 27 pound in the pub.
Stuart McB

Post by Stuart McB »

Q4legend. Sorry your right. Practical car mechanics(have a look at their webb site) magazine have tested this stuff. You spray it in the throttle body and it removed all the c**p in there and apparently frees up some more BHP. Any thing that looks free usualy ain't. You'd do better with some red ex in the tank once a month or some STP fuel additive. But that's only my opinion.
gjb02

Post by gjb02 »

There used to be a similar product...10K Boost. I used that on my friends VW Golf Gti. It called for four separate applications (Two cans / half a can at a time) with a period of idle or a quick drive in between applications.
The first half a can produced a smoke cloud you could have seen from space. The sceptics amongst you would think, at that point, it was just something in the spray burning...you would be wrong.
On the subsequent applications the amount of smoke got less. The last application saw very little smoke indeed!!
The car was more responsive, the engine idle was smoother and the MPG was better. And all for £25!
My friend was chuffed to bits, and so was I...it was me that had convinced him to shell out the money. He was happy and so was his car.
The spray did something....but without stripping the engine before and after...you couldn't prove it had been de-coked.
Garages use chemical de-coke formula's, and charge a fortune... whats to say this Power Boost stuff isn't the same as that, but cheaper??