Reverse gear

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hill

Reverse gear

Post by hill »

I have a 406 estate with a manual box and have an occasional reverse gear problem. Sometimes when I try to engage reverse the lever springs out again without actually selecting the gear. The lever has been pulled back as far as possible but just doesn't 'click' into place. Selecting another gear such as first and then trying reverse again cures the problem. Once selected it stays in gear, it has never jumped out of gear whilst moving. A clutch was fitted recently and the problem was the same before and after. The car is approaching 90k, the gearbox works fine whist driving.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

welcome to the world of peugeot/citroen gear linkages. Ive owned about 6 citroens and not one would go into reverse 100% of the time properly without slipping out or making a horrendous noise unless I put it in 5th first then back into reverse. Has to be due to the linkages and free play in them other the years
goatboy

Post by goatboy »

As Visa GTI says that is just a sympton of peugeots. I have had several pugs and even a brand new Citroen all that sometimes have trouble engaging reverse...
don't worry about it...[8D]