COOLING WATER

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

G4EIY
My Cars:

COOLING WATER

Post by G4EIY »

Hi all,
Would just like to get other users views on what type of water to use for engine cooling.
My views for what it's worth are as follows:
1.Tap water-it's a lottery, depends where in the country you live, I understand that Scotland is the best !!!,to test see how quickly the kettle scales up, and how hard the scale is.
If it scales up in say a month, and the scale is hard, then don't use it, if on the other hand there is only a slight mist on the element and easily rubs off then this should be ok.
2. Rain water, should be ok if you reside in a non industrial area.
3. Defrosted water from fridge or freezer, should be ok.
4. Water collected from a de-humidifier, also should be ok.
5. best is to use demineralised water.
Cheers
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I go with number four. I collect the water from the dehumidifier and store it to use in our four cars - and the steam iron.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Never had any trouble using good old tap water. I do how ever live in an area wher it's treated to be softer (tastes great). I also think using a good anti-freeze coolant helps. I personally have Citroens own brand / formula from GSF in my Xsara.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'd go #4 or #5 but if in doubt, take a sample to a pet shop who sell fish and ask to get it tested.
Over here, tap water = acid and rainwater from a tank = alkaline. Preferrably neutral is the best result as in the case of acidic and certain metal combinations can become quite active as regards electrolysis which in turn creates massive corrosion. Tap water may be OK if it stands up to the tests; calcification is only one aspect of it and not a very significant one I'm afraid.
Alan S
portugeezer

Post by portugeezer »

What about tap water thats been boiled in a kettle, hopefully this would remove the hardness that can cause furring. Can standard antifreeze be used in Citroens?
Regards
Portugeezer.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

3,4 or5. Distilled water, too.
Portugeezer, Good ordinary antifreeze in your BX. Before proceeding though, learn about bleeding the cooling system. It is one of the diesel's little quirks and can give big problems if you don't do it right.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Will i got shot for this post?
I think its been established which water to use in the car, but what about when making home brew?
i used bottled distilled water last time and had no end of problems, but im not convinced it was the waters fault!
Any suggestions?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

vanny. I have used just regular tap water in my home brew from years back. Turned out ok if you like that sort of stomach churning white knuckle ride to the lavy the next day after 5 pints of the stuff.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Don't fanny about just use tap water where ever you are and the proper citroen antigel antifreez, gordon bennet how much furring can eight or nine litres of water cause even in the hardest water area, don't forget what you see in your kettle is an accumulative deposit and doesn't just end up furred to buggery from the first few pints, I allways use tap water and have never had any problems.
Vanny use tap water, but let it stand to allow the ****e they put in to evaporate off, or heat it to drive it off faster, the area the water comes from that are used in beer making is on of its characteristics, the worst thing you can do is use bottled water, its been mucked about no end and even distilled water probably contains contaminants like dead skin cells from bottles and blow moulding machines being handled, just like the bottled spring waters[:0]
Dave
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

'fanny about' technical term LOL.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>

Will i got shot for this post?
I think its been established which water to use in the car, but what about when making home brew?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Tap water from Freckleton mate - pure nectar when brewing me bitter!
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

If your car is a Xantia, then to use a high proportion of ethylene glycol in the coolant water is a VERY IMPORTANT investment.
I recently discovered that the heat stored in the engine can cause high pressures in the cooling system . . . high enough to upset the seals at the heater matrix. And the Heater matrix is one part of your Xantia you NEVER Ever want to see.
If mixing from a glycol concentrate, use a demineralized water because dissolved chlorine and minerals will make it harder for the buffering compounds to prevent CORROSION.
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Hi, have read all the archive material about what water to use and the concerns about venting the system correctly but I can't seem to find information where all the bleed valves and drain plugs are on a Xantia II though I do remember some one saying that there was a drain plug or similar on the rear side of the crank case; could someone please tell me where to look for the drains and bleed valves because if it means crawling under the car more than twice I am in real difficulty.