Xantia self adjusting clutch cable?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Do you mean that the new cable had a self adjuster in the middle or that it had a threaded end?
I tried to fit a non self adjusting canle to my Xantia that has a self adjusting cable (GSF didn't stock the self adjusting ones). I found that there was insufficent adjustment on the nut at the end of the cable to take up the slack. I also remember someone on this forum saying that the clutch return spring is different between the two types of cable.
Richard
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Manual adjust cables use a spring that pushes the pedal down - automatic ones use a spring that lifts the pedal up (IIRC...!). You therefore can't switch from one to the other without also changing the spring on the pedal, and there may be other differences in the mechanism etc. I would try and source the correct cable (even if that means cutting off bodily appendages and handing them over to the Cit dealer...[:o)])
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hang on. Is your clutch cable the type with the big plastic self adjuster in the middle (after RP7974>) or the early manual adjust type (upto RP7973)?
Self adjusting type N71527 for 1.8 16v
Manual adjust type N71526
To say that the self adjusting one can be replaced with the earlier manual one is wrong.