Peugeot 306 poor starting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

josh

Peugeot 306 poor starting

Post by josh »

My 306 xsi is very poor at starting.
In the summer or winter, garaged or outside when the engine is cold, (not recently started) it is always the same,in that you have to crank the engine over for about 6 or 7 seconds before it will fire.
I have found that the best way to start it is to crank the engine over for about 3 or 4 seconds then switch off, leave it for 10 seconds then turn the key again, it will then start after about 3 seconds holding the key.
When the engine is warm it will start up OK after leaving for up to about 15 minutes, after that it will display the symptoms as from cold.
There is however one exception to this, if the car is left unused for say a week (a weekend is not long enough) it will always start immediately.
A Peugeot main dealer has looked at the car for 3 days and reports that the diagnostic equipment is showng no fault. They also checked the fuel system for an overnight pressure drop. this was found to be OK.
Any ideas would be most gratefully received.
Josh
jerorin
My Cars:

Post by jerorin »

Hi Josh,
I got this problem on my 306 too.Have a look at the grounding(-ve) cable which is behind and under the engine.Most probably its corroded.Your mechanic will know where it's located.Have it cleaned and if possible relocate it somewhere above the engine.Like mine,as soon as the cable was cleaned I never have this starting problem.
Good luck.
Jerome.