fixing the stupid estate rear door seal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mseymour
My Cars:

fixing the stupid estate rear door seal

Post by mseymour »

Anyone got any bright ideas?
I've tried almost every form of adhesive generally available and nothing will stick to the plastic membrane thing.
Tried bolted panel sealant which works for a bit, but then falls off.
I'm at my wits end with this extraordinarily stupid design.
About the only thing I can think of is fastening the bottom edge with self tappers, then using silicone to seal it.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I used silicone sealant and held the membrane in place with tape while it set. It took me a few tries but it sealed in the end.
Having sealed the tail gate I still get water inside somewhere around the seal - it pools under the plastic around the lock bar.
Do you think this is the boot seal or is it coming from the tailgate through the lock?
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

It's actually ok around the lock area, it's leaking on one of flat bits that should be easy to seal, but so much is coming in that it's definately not just the seal.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Try Wickes "Ultimate Sealant" its about £7.00 a tube.
Theres little or nothing it won't stick together, it was recommended by a builder friend and I use lots of it for various sealing and sticking applications both automotive and domestic.
myheadhurts
My Cars:

Post by myheadhurts »

Try this stuff "Tiger seal" the website is www.u-pol.com I used it on mine after trying silicon , roofing sealent , mastic etc.Apparently it's the stuff used to bond aircraft glass in place.Make sure you get all of the old sealent off before applying and take your time as it takes an hour or so to cure ,getting stickier as it dries.Did mine in march and its been bone dry ever since.[:)]
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

cheers guys.
I'll look into those.