Xantia Condenser Removal + Cooling Fans Sorted!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Xantia Condenser Removal + Cooling Fans Sorted!

Post by Richard Gallagher »

My latest toy, Xantia 2.0 16V 1997 with air con, has only got the N/S cooling fan working at maximum speed.
I've found the three relays behind the grill and by taking a direct feed to the relays found that no matter what I do I cannot get the O/S fan to work or to get both fans to run at half speed, so thereby deduced that the O/S fan is U/S.
That was the easy bit, how on earth do you remove the aircon condensor on order to get to the fans?
I've removed the radiator, but the condenser is secured by two large (immovable) rubber bushes on its nearside, but is apparently fixed solid on the O/S. I've tried sliding it towards the O/S of the car without success any suggestions please?
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

Hi Richard
To access the fans mounting frame the easiest way is to remove the front grille leaving radiator and condensor in place.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Thanks John, but I had the grille off and just cannot get to the bolts at the back of the fans, I tried to take the fan blade off but the screw started to round off.
However, Stempy kindly sent me a 'blown-up' diagram of the radiator/condenser which revealed that the condenser is secured by way of two allen bolts next to the supply pipes, remove those then slide it towards the O/S, job done (getting the fans out that is).
This did then allow me to work out what wire went to which fan and after taking a direct feed to them I discovered that they do both work. Hmmmm. Bitron relay? Now then how does that come out, Bumper off?
Gaskin
My Cars:

Post by Gaskin »

Just a quick thought, the screws/nuts holding the fans in place may be reverse threads. I've had this on a Punto cooling fan.
Cheers
Duncan
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Fan screws are indeed reverse threads. If you have a H****s manual there is a wiring diag in there which shows how the fans are wired. There is a change over system where by they either run in series or parallel, controlled by the three relays in between the fans. Might be worth check the relays are ok and that the right ones are fitted in their respective slots.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

I'm having a bit of 'fun' with this one, when I supply the O/S fan with 12v directly from the battery it runs ok, however it now seems I have some sort of wiring fault as I have replaced the Bitron control unit without success.
I've disconnected the Bitron temperature sensor which I believe should switch both fans onto maximum but only the N/S one runs. I've also been looking at the link to the 'Peugeotlogic' site (which I must say is very good) and I'm rechecking the wiring when the aircon is switched on as the Bitron unit is not switching to supply the earth connection in order to run the fans in parallel. I've done a resistance check on both fans with an Ohm meter and both read the same. The constant 12v supply to the O/S fan is OK.
Hmmmm, I hope the rain stays off long enough today if only for the cars sake, because this may mean I lose patience and resort back to my original plan when I bought it of breaking it up for spares. Anyone fancy a full beige leather interior with electic heated seats that work?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Eurikkakaka!! Sorted.
Eventually after much head scratching I found that it was a wiring fault. The constant live supply which powers the N/S relay and runs to terminal number one on the relay did not have a feed. I attempted to trace the wire back to its source but got lost somewhere in the maze as it disappeared under the N/S/F wing.
As I found that the fans worked correctly when I took a live feed directly from the battery to this terminal, I decided to wire in a new fused supply which I then grafted (by way of soldering) onto the wire as it runs behind the N/S headlight as part of the loom.
I am now pleased to report that said Xantia has now been 'saved' from the scrap heap!!