Citroen C6

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Citroen C6

Post by Thunderbird »

DS, CX, XM replacement to be released in 2006, to rime with C6? Or not anymore? (in this case, C5 will have to serve).
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Ford are not stupid, but they dropped the Granada/Scorpio from the range- they now make their exec. motor profits from Jags.
The C5 is so enormous it would be difficult to build something bigger, so I would imagine they would go down the Ford route, or maybe the time is ripe to ressurect the Talbot name- not in the Tagora or Avenger sense but as a luxury motor range, based on the C5 platform.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I've found an article that says C6 will see the day-light in 2005 and will be presented at the 2005 Genebra exposition.
Meanwhile Citroen has made a reserved presentation of a prototype, that is very close to the original C6 prototype, 5 years ago.
Only engine guaranteed for now is the 2.7 V6 207Hp Diesel that jaguar is using.
Finally, DS, CX, and XM can rest in peace, as they will be replaced by a better and unique car...
The new C6:
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Eh!! 'maybe the time is ripe to ressurect the Talbot name'
You mean like the Horizon? Used to drive a drive in a Mk1 Horizon 1.3 (amongst other cars) [:0]. Four speed box and rattley as hell. One of the gear box selector dogs broke and it cost the grand some of £25 inc VAT fitted. Both wings rotted through £20 pained and replaced. Good car but again you just don't see them on the road any more [:(]. Mate of mines dad had a Talbot Solara 'Executive' posh or what[?]
activa
My Cars:

Post by activa »

I am not sure whether Citroen is able to "play" in this upper segment and compete BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.
C6 might be a unique car, but carries a heavy heritage and a bad name. At least here in Greece, there are very few people that would prefer C6 instead of a "luxurius" bavarian-made car with the same money.
I don't know though, how well Citroen is going, in Europe generally, with its "big"models...
Dimitris
Xantia ACTIVA Turbo 2.0
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I would bet that if Citroen made a C6 it would not be sold in the UK.
The Peugeot 607 hardly sells
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I think, the C6 would be sold in the Uk. The UK is Citroens 2nd biggest market, so it would still 'try' and sell it in the UK.
regards
Paul
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Well, if they sell just a few, it will be a truly exclusive car, just like the SM.
I remember, here in Portugal, that there were plenty of DS's in the streets. Later, there also could be found lots of CX's, but very few XM's were sold. The same happened to Peugeot 605, 607, Renault Safrane/Vel Satis, Lancia, Alfa Romeo 166, Rover 75, Opel Omega, etc. Step by step, that segment was taken by Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.
Most of all, I believe the cause is marketing and fashion, however these three germanic manufacturers are doing their homework.
In about 4 years, I guess I will be choosing between Citroen C6 and Mercedes E with pneumatic self-leveling/activa suspension... A battle between Heart and Reason...
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">'maybe the time is ripe to ressurect the Talbot name'<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
For those who haven't seen one, heres a proper Talbot , from before the badge engineering of the tagora, samba ,etc,
http://www.ritzsite.net/Bugatti_T57/Tal ... i_1938.jpg
Its not such a mad idea- I believe PSA still own the rights to the name.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wrinklet1</i>

I think, the C6 would be sold in the Uk. The UK is Citroens 2nd biggest market, so it would still 'try' and sell it in the UK.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bargains Galore then? - remember how much Renault cut off the price of Avetime and Vel Satis cars? Mind you the C6 would never fit in the works car park[:(]
activa
My Cars:

Post by activa »

Wrinklet, "try"is not enough to keep an industry running. They will have to sell enough of those , in order to launch in the market and make money!
Thunderbird, likewise, if they sell few, it doesnt mean C6 will becomae an exclusive car. Moreover, there 's a big difference. Mercedes, Audi, BMW make cars for a lifetime - they are not accidentally leaders in the segment. Citroen has already done a mistake with a C5. They invested a lot, expected a lot, but finally got very few... C5 is not what they promised it would be. Their expectations were to compete face-to-face with Audi A6, BMW 520, Mercedes C & E class, and they finally weren't able to stand up against even a Ford Mondeo or a Laguna...
Citroen cars still feel "cheap" , complicated, and faulty compared to others - mainly from Germany. Moreover, my personal opinion is that the new design style is a lot more TAIWANish than the older - more classical , and absolutely CITROENical - designs. The first time I saw C5 i thought I saw the new launch from DAEWOO. Citroen should not look like ANY other car...
DS, GS, BX, Xantia, XM, they were ALL CITROENs. Now, if you see a C5 without the << double chevrons, you could pass it for a DAEWOO...
On the other hand, I think everyone would agree with me that, Xantia is the most classical and elegant car that circulates on the streets :-)
Dimitris
Xantia ACTIVA Turbo 2.0
http://users.otenet.gr/~activa
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

activa, I agree with everything you say about the C5 (the greatest fiasco on Citroen history?), but the C6 is special... I believe (expect? [:p]) Citroen has learned with the errors of the past, and will get closer to the Mercedes class E with the C6.
Concerning the Xantia (I also have one), it has indeed a classical and distinct design, but not the carisma of the DS, CX, or the SM.
No one turns around and points to a Xantia while saying «look! ther goes a Citroen Xantia!», like with the DS.. [8D]
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

My wife and me do that every time we see it / them gliding on the road!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunderbird</i>
Finally, DS, CX, and XM can rest in peace, as they will be replaced by a better and unique car...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Interesting: Better?
Will a C6 last for 40 years, as many DSs still in daily use have done?
Would I be able to maintain it myself?
Will the (unneccessary) electronics be repairable into the foreseeable future, without buying an IC factory?
Thought not.....
OK for some, not for me. Chacun a son gout.
activa
My Cars:

Post by activa »

I,also, turn and point each time a see one, especially if it is a well preserved ACTIVA !!! :-)
Dimitris
Xantia ACTIVA Turbo 2.0