handbrake failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caeclyd
My Cars:

handbrake failure

Post by caeclyd »

The attached image shows the can lever on the caliper. It has sheared off.
Is this cam lever replacable or does it mean I have to have a complete new caliper?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

OMG [:0]
That is DEFINATELY a nasty problem !
Get a SET of new (recon) calipers. Your car would simply be too dangerous to drive if differently worn/aged brake calipers are fitted at front.
caeclyd
My Cars:

Post by caeclyd »

"Get a SET of new or recon"
Anders, yes that makes sense. Has anybody else had a similar problem?
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Get one from the scrappies £10 or weld the old one back on.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

From the cutaway diagrams I have seen I would say the arm is replacable.
<b>If</b> you can get the parts.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Judging by the rusty look of the hole it came out of, I think you would be better off changing the whole caliper. One the insides of the parking brake get rusty, it's not worth the time it takes to fix them.
//NiSk
Jon

Post by Jon »

Citroen do a repair kit for the handbrake that they term as a "Kit emergency brake". It looks like this:
Part number is 95667819 >RP6901 then 442796 RP6902>>
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

That picture looks like a full caliper recon kit rather than being just for the emergency brake...
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Notice the bit that's missing? - the parking brake operating arm!!
//NiSk
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Its not in the kit because it never breaks or anything like that...
Look on the bright side of things, you won't have to unclip the hand brake cable to change the brake pads... at least on the right hand side.
Is that a brake pad wear indicator wire I can see all frayed in the background (top right corner of pic)?
ryanbaldwin
My Cars:

Post by ryanbaldwin »

This is my first post here - so first I'd like to thank you all for this great forum which I have been following now for many months.
I noticed in this thread the staement
"Get a SET of new (recon) calipers. Your car would simply be too dangerous to drive if differently worn/aged brake calipers are fitted at front."
This had me a little worried as a few months ago my Xantia went to a Citroen garage to have its break pads changed(and a few other bits). They found that the disks where also badly worn and needed replacing. Also aparently ONE of the front calipars was leaking. All the disks and pads where changed and also ONE of the front callipers was replaced. Does anyone know if this leaves my car unsafe to drive ?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As a rule of thumb - for the sake of safety :
you always go change critical brakes / suspension parts in pairs/both sides.
Not doing so brings in <font color="red"><i>the risc</i></font id="red"> (not the definate rule) that steering and/or braking makes the car unstable.
You wont see any professional garages advising owners to only replace parts in one side of the car.
As it's a risc you will only realise in critical situations - that's why it's a risc after all [B)]
ryanbaldwin
My Cars:

Post by ryanbaldwin »

Thanks Anders for the reply. Having thought that I could have got this wrong I have now checked the invoice.
The garage is I hope a professional garage - they are at least a 'Citroen Authorised Service Dealer'. I had alot of work done on the car(clutch and sphere's replaced). Although I had spent more money on the car then it was worth I though at least the clutch, suspension and brakes should be rock solid.
The line on the invoice reads:
"SUPPLY & FIT FRONT BRAKE PADS, FRONT BRAKE DISKS & O/S/F BRAKE CALIPER"
So just to clarify - in this circumstance should both front brake calipers have been replaced ? Maybe the garage was just trying to keep the costs of the whole lot down a little(the total price was a little scary) in which case would this be a reasonable ommision ?
I came across this thread whilst browsing after finding that in the three months since this work was done I had managed to loose 1/2 a litre of LHM some-where)-: having just noticed this weekend that when put in high suspension mode the stop light was coming on. I was a little disapointed after the work was done to find one of the wires under the bonnet unconnected and hanging free(I have relocated this to its correct place) although it didnt stop the car from going.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
I only had one rear caliper changed on my 405 last year, PERFECT rear brake balance on the rollers afterwards for the MOT.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I would certainly replace pads, discs and springs or shock absorbers as an axle set, but brake calipers? no provided only one needs replacement to make it work perfectly (like the other side) then I will happily replace a caliper.
Stewart