Flasher Relay - tickatickatickatickaticka.......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MW
My Cars:

Flasher Relay - tickatickatickatickaticka.......

Post by MW »

Ermmm, the title just about sums it up really. I've got an intermittent fault on my Xantia where I can hear the flasher relay working overtime (double speed) while I'm driving straight ahead. There are no visible signs from outside the car that anything is wrong - no indicators flashing hideously, or anything like that. So I'm street legal.
Everything carries on working fine when I use the left or right indicators in the normal way - they come on, at the correct speed, and cancel correctly. It's the same with the hazard flashers, everything works OK. Then, as soon as I've completed the turn, it's back to the old tickatickaticka again. (Unless it's gone away - I <i>said </i>it was an intermittent fault.)
All bulbs are OK. Any thoughts? Please tell me it's not the indicator stalk switch again! I had that replaced about four years ago, and a right performance it was too.
Cheers
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MW</i>

Please tell me it's not the indicator stalk switch again! I had that replaced about four years ago, and a right performance it was too.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Errr.....
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

it would likely to be the switch (again).my step dads got the same thing, sometimes it would tick like crazy and other times it would stay quiet.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Yep deffo the switch. Happens to most old PSA cars. My AX suffered from it as did my sisters 106.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Sigh........
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Still, at least it's not an expensive part. Reckon I'll give it a month just to see whether it sorts itself out - or whether I can win the lottery in time not to have to do it. I always did like turning up the stereo nice and loud.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

It is possible to dismantle the indicator switch and bend the contacts in a bit. I did this on my Xantia about 3-4 years ago and its still working fine. Getting the switch back together was the problem, sort of like one of those Chinese puzzles. I had to assemble the bits loose on the table then slowly slide the outer casing of the switch back down over the top without disturbing any of them.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

MW, Just check that the indicator is returning to its normal parked (off) position, my Xantia's indicator sometimes does the same but its just because it hasn't cancelled itself
Paul
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

My tickaticka.... went away months ago after some stalk wiggling. Made me thing it was probably dirty contacts or stickiness in the stalk movement rather than wear. You might be lucky.
PJ
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

The problem is due to copper dust from contact wear in the switch. The dust gets trapped in the grease used to lubricate the contacts, making it a bit conductive.
You can also fix the problem (for a couple of years anyway) by changing a resistor in the flasher unit. see more information in http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... rms=xantia