Xantia 1.9TD exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ghostrider
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD exhaust

Post by ghostrider »

I was under the xantia the other day replacing that stupid little bit of plastic that connects the rear height corrector to the anti roll bar [8D][8D] and was just having a general look round when I noticed that this one (1997 1.9TD VSX hydractive) has only one rear silencer box, unlike my other 1.9td (also 1997) which has two, the front one of which I assumed was the cat.
The heat shield for the front box is present, but the exhaust pipe runs in one piece to the rear box. Is this a standard thing or has it been modified?
thanks Pete
________
Cams Sexy
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

my 1996 xantia 1.9td has only got one box at the back.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

1997 was when Citroen started to fit cats to diesel Xantias. It may be that that your VSX was built before thye were fitted. Either that or it has been 'removed'.
One way of telling the difference is to look for the blue and green 'emissions' relays fitted to the bulkhead above the gearbox if the VSX has them then it was fitted with a cat when new. The other thing to look for is the fuel pump, which when cats were fitted had a throttle position sensor fitted to the top of the pump, rather than just a 'cap'.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Thanks for that Richard, there is no throttle position sensor, so it must be one of the earlier models, interesting as my other Xantia is on a P plate and this one's on an R, so it must have been sitting around at some dealer's for some time, or judging by the corrosion on some of the underbody bits, some muddy field somewhere,[;)] [:)]
Pete
________
Mercedes-Benz W126 History
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Take a look at the 'RP' number on the O/S of the bulkhead, that will tell you when your cars were built.