BX rear floor rusting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

BX rear floor rusting

Post by Jon »

After I welded up the boot floor and chassis legs, I decided to identify the cause of the problem. My suspicions were with the sunroof drains. However, using ye olde watering can method around the edge of the sunroof (when it was retracted) I found the the water was draining to the floor, as it should from the rear drains.
What I did find was that a small amount of water was entering the boot via the rear wiper motor area, rusty marks (from the wiper motor) inside the tailgate area confirmed this. The drain hole in the tailgate was completely blocked. I put my lips to it and sucked, then spat out this foul stuff, and after that the water drained freely with no sign of ingress into the inside of the tailgate.
Anyone who wishes to add the comments "Ooo'er missus" etc in respect of the previous paragraph is welcome.
As I had a days holiday today, I did some other minor work on the car, such as filling, priming and painting the rear spoiler, then some more cleaning and polishing of the bodywork, its starting to look good. Well, a bit better.
Went to local Citroen dealer (which was a Rover dealer until about last week) with the paintcode, EKB. Of course that meant nothing to the so called Partsman. I suggested that he look up the code and get the CIT paint number for it, after about 15 mins he came back with CIT2281 and said " It don't show on the system". Thanks for nothing there then! Called another dealer thats been going since 1972 and are really helpful, and they confirmed that this paint was no longer available, despite it being used on 1993/4 ZX's.Doh.
Visited local Halfords (much as it pains me)and gave them EKB and Cit code, which they recognised as "Rouge Opera" despite the fact the paint is called Morello. Anyway, they mixed some up for me in aerosol form, and it was a perfect match. Good work Fella award of today to Swindon Halfords! As for Citroen, words fail me.[V]
Final tidy up with the sills, applied new black stone ship from aerosol, they look as new.[:)]
Vanny is sending the 16v wheels down, via GSF Liverpool, Manchester etc etc next week. I was going to say that Project BX will then be complete, but thats not true as I'm doing the timing belt and the clutch 2 weeks tommorrow as well. I really must add up the total cost so far.......[:(]
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I had fun with "the Swindon Cit Dealer" getting a part this week; came to the conclusion that if I had to cope with Seat, Rover, Jag, Citroen, Mazda parts I'd be confused too :)
Best of luck with the BX!
Simon
Jon

Post by Jon »

Simon, though its a bit of a drive, Clarke & Rodway over at Marlborough have been in the game for about 30 years, and have always proved helpful. They also sorted out a problem on our previous Berlingo very efficiently.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

"The drain hole in the tailgate was completely blocked. I put my lips to it and sucked, then spat out this foul stuff, and after that the water drained freely with no sign of ingress into the inside of the tailgate."
And if you smoked a pipe you would realise the perfect tool for this job - pipe cleaners!!!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

On one of my previous BXs water got in through the bonded join between glass and tailgate and by running down the sides of the tailgate and in behind the rear light clusters.
Stewart
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Nice to know what the likely cause of this common BX malady is - even if it is rather too late for many BXs hatches. This would fit in with the lack of similar corrosion on estates as any blocked drainage on the hatch would drain onto the rear bumper.
I know that sinking feeling of spending unexpected £££s on a recent BX, but are you enjoying driving it, Jon? How do you find the driving experience compares to more recent cars?
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Jon,
Many times does this little hole become blocked, but from experience, I never suck but blow to clear the blockage, always blow...
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

glad to here you SPAT it out, rather than the old swallowing the petrol and having a cigarette stunt :D
As a word of warning DONT add up what you have spent, it will only mak eyou cry. I know, i made that mistake once!
PS you have mail :D