Warm Air \ Cold Air

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Warm Air \ Cold Air

Post by Twiss »

On a Turbo diesel xud9te engine would having the air intake pipe to the turbo and from the turbo and to the intercooler make abig difference in performance keeping the air cold? if this is possiable does any body know where i could get parts ? i live on the isle of wight so i am limited to places unless they deliver.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

If I am right, I think it is better to have cold air being drawn into the engine rather than hot, this is because there is more oxygen in cold air than hot.
Paul
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

ah but more nitrogen, too and that won't burn!
Denser air works better though the result will be a sub marginal improvement.
Twiss, It is difficult to understand your posting. Please read through it before posting.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

sorry guys trying to do to many things at once!!
what i mean is if I change the air intake pipes( air filter to turbo,turbo to intercooler)with a set of heat resistance pipes or be able to cover the original pipes with a heat resistance material would it improve performance? keeping the air cooler?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

No, still gibberish!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Twiss- i think you mean insulating the air intake hose.
If so, I don't think it will make any detectable difference.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

yes that is what i mean. thank u BXBODGER.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Try giving the back of the intercooler a good wash through, with a strong hot jet of water. Dead flies block them up and a good deal of gunge invariably gets removed, allowing better airflow and therefore reducing the temperature rise in the intercooler. The engine will now pull for longer on boost. The results are usually immediately noticeable.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If I understand what you are saying, you are asking whether it is worth while lagging (or otherwise insulating) the air intake pipework under your bonnet.
It wouldn't make any difference, since the air gets heated up being compressed and by the turbo (which tends to get hot since its on the exhaust). I'm not sure whether you could actually lose performance since the air in the pipes could be hotter than the air in the engine bay.
Intercoolers improve efficiency, and there is no doubt in my mind that cooler air going into an engine improves efficiency and power output whether the engine is petrol or diesel.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

In that case, I'd better not reveal the name of the chap with the well-tweaked up Saab running on Avgas, who had a cable to a CO2 fire extinguisher which he occasionally used to blast over the intercooler to the chagrin of the local Beemer ownership...
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

i cleaned the intercooler like Tom said (did that at the Weekend)but i found no noticable improvments and the car still takes awhile to repond. is there any way of cleaning the insides of the air intake witout striping it all apart,like an air cleaner to remove dirt inside the system? (hope this makes sense?. on another note iam i looking at the wrong end ? i mean could there be a blockage in the exhaust? Restricting gas flow?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The turbo can have a surprising amount of lag if you drive at low revs. Have you tried your car out against a similar one or has your power gone down noticeably? Performance issues on a newly bought turbodiesel are usually addressed as follows:1, change all three filters and the oil. 2, add a bottle of RedeX to a tank full of diesel. 3, fifty mile Italian service. Exhausts soot up and many owners simply don't give them enough welly from time to time.
My BX was good for about 95 when I picked it up and after a fast 100 mile run, it was a lot faster!
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

i'll do a service on it, put redx in my fuel tank and prime the fuel filter with injector cleaner. but i cant do a fifty mile run because on the I.O.W there to many bends by the time i hit 60 i got to slow down for a bend!!
is there any stuff i can buy to put into the air system to clean all that as well?
Thanks for your help
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

One other thing that make me think there blockage or a leak (already checked the rubber seal on the intercooler) is that lately the turbo sounds like its having to do a lot of work more then normal when i put my foot down.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

You shouldn't hear the turbo at all. Tighten your exhaust and check that the plumbing is all tight. You may have dislodged the boost pipe to the fuel pump.
Don't try any "cleaner in the air system". You'll probably get a hydraulic lock if you do. Taking off the intercooler, sloshing a pint of petrol around it, then draining and replacing it is the best you can go for.