Water in air intake (1.9TD)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Water in air intake (1.9TD)

Post by ktaylor21662 »

After a 200 mile drive in heavy rain I find that water has got into the air intake of my Synergie 1.9TD. The air filter is damp in-part (not soaked). The engine "rattles" when revved, there is a loss of power and it is producing lots of blackish smoke. I know that the engine will have problems compressing damp air. What are your suggestions? Thanks to "mbunting" for putting me onto this possibility. Initially I thought is was a turbo problem. Kevin.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

First get a dry air filter. Then see if you mop up any water in the intercooler to manifold joints.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

I'm told that water being sucked in is also a potential problem in going through deep puddles etc. with the ZX TD... is there any practical way to lessen the chances of that?
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

well imn my experience on the zx, you should end up going through puddles deep enough for the air intake (unless you drive through rivers, lakes etc!)... however, the air filter housing is at the bottom of the engine compartment. When we had the heavy rain earlier this year, my filter housing filled up with water. I bought a new filter, and a tube of silicone, fitted new filter, tightened up all jubilee clips and sealed round the bottom of the filter housing (where the filter comes out). This worked for me.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Good idea.... and the ZX is getting a service at the end of this week so with a new air filter going in anyway it's the ideal time for doing it.