106 Rallye Not starting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnl1
My Cars:

106 Rallye Not starting

Post by Johnl1 »

Hi
I have a 95 106 Rallye (1300, series 1) which refuses to start from cold. The engine turns over but does not seem to fire.
The car will however bump start and once started (and stopped, obviously!) It will start on the first turn of the key.
It has been suggested that the problem could be the stepper motor as
the car will occcasionally will not idle properly/stalls.
Could a faulty stepper motor stop the engine from starting?
Does anyone have any experience of a similar problem?
I have tried all the obvious stuff such as plugs, ignition leads, battery etc.
Any help appreciated
John
paul141
My Cars:

Post by paul141 »

the stepper motor could be the idle fault, or an air leak, but the starting problem could be 2 other items fitted to the system.
There is a inlet manifold heater, this would cause poor starting from cold if it was not working, but once warm it would not be needed so starting would be OK. There is also a MAP sensor (it tells the ECU what vac pressure is in the inlet manifold) if this was playing up the fuel system would get the wrong readings (this is unlikely to cause starting fault ALL THE TIME)
Johnl1
My Cars:

Post by Johnl1 »

Thanks for the reply, I took apart the inlet and found that the air pressure/speed indicator (Small pip covered by a metal shield/clip)was covered in oil from the sump recirculation pipe.
I removed and cleaned this and the problem seems to have disapeared.
Not 100% sure if that is the fix due to the intermittentness of the fault, but will keep you updated.
Where is the stepper motor fitted? (Haynes manual less than useless!)
Once again thanks for your help
John
paul141
My Cars:

Post by paul141 »

sump pressure relief pipe me thinks, the amount of cars that that system of pressure relief causes problems to..............
Stepper motor should be a small round unit somewhere near the throttle assembly it would look like yet another eletrical device just fitted to go wrong on you (and you would not be far wrong) but in this day of emmission control and the dreaded cat....
it is most likely you can not take it to bits, thats why Haynes (spits) do not show it.