AX Car Stereo question...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

joshm

AX Car Stereo question...

Post by joshm »

Hi all,
A neighbour of mine needs a hand replacing his car stereo (the standard one's given up the ghost). I understand that the unit can be removed by sliding a couple of flat strips of metal down either side to release the clips, and then pulling it out using the cassette aperture as a grip? can anyone confirm?
Once this has been done, will he need to get a fascia adapter kit if he wants to fit a non-Citroen replacement stereo (i.e. not shaped to follow the curve of the console)?
Do Citroen fit the stereo using a mess of individual wires or is it just a case of a nice integrated plug?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Josh
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I belive that all Citroens should have a nice itergrated plug at the back. All mine have. As for the facia adaptor not sure if Citroen do one but I have seen tham at my local ha***rds. Do a site search under AX stereo, as some one recently asked a simalar question.
joshm

Post by joshm »

Thanks for the info, Stuart!
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

you don't need an adaptor plate it's just a normal hole behind the curvy front. make sure u get a stereo with a bright display as they can be hard to see.
joshm

Post by joshm »

Thanks, GardenPeas. I was wondering why H4lf0rds didn't stock a fascia, and was about to ask about the need for one - you saved me the bother!
joshm

Post by joshm »

DOH! Removed the car stereo form the AX today, but the new one wouldn't fit especially well so I put it back.
However, before I put it back I removed the little spring retaining clips, assuming that these were the things that locked it in place. Alas, it would seem that the sole purpose of these clips is to facilitate removal.
So now I've got the wrong stereo fitted and am unable to get it out using the "normal" method. Anyone got any ideas as to how I can remove it again?
Thanks, JoshM
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

firstly well done
got me a new ax changed the stereo over on friday pannasonic perfection
thing a hammer is in order break the edges off the front of radio so u can get a peice of flat mental down the side if the radio is no good it won't matter about breaking it u can allways have my old one
good luck
ax's rule the road
joshm

Post by joshm »

Drat and double-drat!
Gardenpeas, I'm liking the idea of relieving you of your old unit! If I could replace it whilst my elderly neighbour wasn't looking, I could go at the old one with a hammer and fit the replacement without him ever learning of my gaff - heh, heh!
Let me know if you are serious about letting it go, and what you'd want for it.
Thanks a lot, JoshM
joshm

Post by joshm »

I have also sent you a PM, Gardenpeas...
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

if you can pick it up from solihull it's yours for a fiver
another idea (bit of the wall) crash the car head on into a wall and the stereo will just fly out that dash
joshm

Post by joshm »

Yoink! Fiver sounds like a great price (assuming you know the code!) but I am in Surrey/SW London so the journey would be considerable. Would you consider shipping it? No idea what it would cost - probably not much more than another fiver including some packaging..?
Cheers, JoshM
joshm

Post by joshm »

I'll try emailing you...
Thompatruck
My Cars:

Post by Thompatruck »

Josh,
I just replaced a radio in a friends K plate AX, did it in the car park using no tools other than the "release keys" and took 5 mins??
How do you mean it doesn't fit very well? as in it sticks out? It's loose? what?
It really shouldn't be too hard [8)][:)]
It'd just save the hassle of buying another one
joshm

Post by joshm »

Hi Thompatruck,
The "new" one is not in fact new, but was described as a "good one" by my neighbour. When, in fact, he showed it to me, I almost called Time Team. It's an ancient one (one of the main functions seems to be the ability to select stereo over mono) and the aperture in the AX is bigger than the chassis of the stereo. So I thought it would be good to try and get another AX stereo instead...
Josh
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

computers been broken hence delay
my ax stereo radio ok but tape crap works ish got code but your neighbour would be better off spending a few quid more as the ax radio is really bad could only get radio 2 and radio 1 no kerrang
try motor world for a cheap stereo or a shifty kid called barry the one with no front teeth