Knackered Pump?!?!?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

espzetec

Knackered Pump?!?!?

Post by espzetec »

Recently my 1.9td Xantia has started rattling when i turn the steering wheel. i can only assume the pump for power steering is on its way out? However, now when i start the car up is rattles without me even yanking the wheel! Is it actually the pump of is it something more serious? How can i diagnose the fault?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The power steering runs from the same pump as the suspension and brakes! It sounds like you need to flush out the hydraulic system. Open the oil reservoir and check the colour of the LHM oil - if its anything other than nearly flouresent green, it needs changing!
//NiSk
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

It might sound daft is it the exhaust?
My wife's Zx rattled when turning and a adjustment to the exhaust mountings cured it.
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

Not sure about the exhaust. it sounds like its coming from the area of accumlator? its not the sphere as i changed this about a month ago. the weird noise tends to be louder when pumping the suspension up and stops whencar is level. then starts again? flush the system and change fileters might cure this>?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I don't know what age your Xanta is but from about 1996 the hydraulic pump changed from a single outlet pump like a BX to one with 2 outlets, the principle high volume one being for the steering and the other 2 cylinders being for the brakes and suspension.
Certainly on BX some noise can be heard when the pump is pumping.
Jeremy