Buzzing relay under glovebox?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

D.Slatford
My Cars:

Buzzing relay under glovebox?

Post by D.Slatford »

I wonder if any of you happen to know if there's any relay(s) hidden away somewhere under the glovebox in a P reg Xantia? I've had a quick look underneath, around the interior fan and pollen filter, yet can't see anything.
I ask, because quite randomly, there's a loudish buzzing coming from somewhere in that corner. The sort of sound an angry blue-bottle or wasp might make, trapped in the airways, but it's been happening for a good month now so quite sure it isn't that :) A chattering relay sounds likely, but can't place where it could be. Everything seems to work fine.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Are you sure it's that corner? The indicator relay makes exactly that kind of buzzing sometimes, but it lives with the fuses beside your right knee. They say it's caused by an expiring indicator switch, but it can be cured for a while at least by wiggling the switch.
The wee fan behind the alarm light that sucks air past the temperature sensor will also make angry buzzing, but it's a different kind of buzz.
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The wee fan behind the alarm light that sucks air past the temperature sensor will also make angry buzzing, but it's a different kind of buzz.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well, it sure sounds like it's from the passenger footwell somewhere, hence some confusion. I'll check all the other relays regardless, but odd everything still works.
It's not the fan either, I've pulled that to bits and cleaned it up a while ago, I have to put my ear to it now to tell it's on.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

This sounds like the noise I had when I first bought my 97 Xantia was looking for weeks to find source of buzzing noise, Meter out checking everything, eventually tracked it down to dead leaves stuck in the pollen filter, put new filter in, cleaned housing out, the noise was never heard again.
Filter was about £9 from GSF took about 10 minutes to fit.
But I do agree it does sound very electrical and there is no pattern to it happening, I was expecting smoke from under the dash any second[:)]
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Just check the trim that surrounds the radio trim, it goes around the heater controls too. Mine vibrates at random and makes a buzzing noise until I press on it.
Paul
andylal
My Cars:

Post by andylal »

I have the same afore mentioned angry fly noise, on my 97 19.td xantia.
it appears when the ignition is turned on then stops after about 5 or 6 secs, i have also noticed (not sure if conneted) that the heater motor does not appear to kick in until the buzzing sound has stopped, not investigated it yet as its quite low on my list of pending jobs!!!.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you've got climate control, that makes a "buzzing noise" as it adjusts itself.
When you stop your car, the engine is warm and the climate control is set to work with a warm heater matrix. In the morning, the heater matrix is cold so when you switch on the ignition, the climate control sets itself to it's full hot air setting to get the car warmed up as quickly as possible, hence noise when you switch on the ignition.
When I got my current Xantia, I was annoyed by this intermittent vibrating noise, but it turned out to tbe the climate control adjusting itself, I suppose given time you get used to it...
If you've got climate control, and changing the temperature lever from full hot to full cold pausing at each end provokes the buzz, then you'll at least know what it is.
andylal
My Cars:

Post by andylal »

That rings pretty true with my noise, i do have climate control, was'nt reaily to concerned about it its not so bad least i suppose you know its working!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Not the intergral fuel pump in the petrol tank under the rear seat is it? In my Xsara when you turn on the ignition just befor the stereo comes on you can hear the pump start up (so to speak).
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

Amazing, it is the climate control! The loudest buzzing is when returning to the cold position, seems to be more rapid than switching to warm, sounds just like that angry fly.
One less thing to worry about - Thanks :)