LHM level indicator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soniceddy

LHM level indicator

Post by soniceddy »

hi all just found this forum and think its great so well done to them in the no for sharing their knowledge with us.I have just bought a xantia 1.9td lx with 82k on the clock[?] and have found that the glass dome indicator for the fluid is stuck with the disk at the bottom and the orange rubber thing at the top,i put the car in high mode on tickover and look in the reservoit and find that there is still quite a lot of fluid there,am i right in thinking that the fluid should come up into the glass dome and push the disc up to the marks in the dome?the car rises and lowers well with no jerks or sudden movements.
Any help would be greatfull
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Checking the reservoir level is an art - in Citroen style of life [8D]
The float has to be within the 2 red rings on the dome when the car is set to highest suspension height, which means the engine must be running.
When the car is at normal height - a great part of the fluid is still in the reservoir, and then presses the float up against the top of the glass.
A double check would be the fluid level some 2-3 inches down the reservoir when car is in normal height engine running.
Overfilling the reservoir is very dangerous - as your missus and/or neighbours will hate you for the nasty greasy spillage on the driveay [B)]
Note that the warning lamp is driven by both a reservoir level sensor - and the (under) pressure sensor. Either fault have the same result : you will soon run out of brakes power !
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

The level-float can stick.... happened to other half when out this morning in the Xantia Mk1 TD estate.... dashboard STOP light came on, lucky she was near friendly local garage who quickly looked at it and found the cause. Sorted it with a bit of woggling. Reckon I'll get a spare one next time I'm in the scrapyard, though (recall same problem happened years ago on the GS).