What are the symptoms of the turbo having "gone"?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ktaylor21662
My Cars:

What are the symptoms of the turbo having "gone"?

Post by ktaylor21662 »

This maybe what has happened to my Synergie 1.9TD. Can I have some comfirmation. Thanks, Kevin.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Total lack of performance.
You should first check that all the hoses/pipes on the pressure side are intact and connected. If it has an intercooler, look for damage which might release pressure (and listen, too if you can). Failing that, check that the wastegate hasn't stuck wide open - it's controlled by a flimsy little rod which can stick open. Since it gets hot and is exposed to the atmoshere, it rusts quite readily!
//NiSk
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Turbos generally have a longish life, and if they have regular oil changes and are not turned off whilst still spinning rapidly, often last the life time of the car. Of course, as NiSk says, hoses can become damaged. Perhaps if you describe the fault with your Synergie, members here can give you some help. The engine in your car is identical to that in other Citroens.
ktaylor21662
My Cars:

Post by ktaylor21662 »

The symptoms are: Total lack of power; lots and lots of black, smelly smoke; very loud "diesel rattle". The vehicle is a taxi with 240k miles on the clock. This happened suddenly after a 200 mile run in heavy rain. Kevin.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I would very quickly get the cambelt timing checked, before driving it very far at all. When was the belt changed last? If that's OK, you may well have injection problems - either the injectors themselves or the pump.
//NiSk
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

The smoke could also be white ( you wouldn't believe how many attempts to spell this correctly at 4:45 am ! ) in colour,
black=oil leak on the intake side.
white=oil leak on the exhaust side.
An oil leak on the intake side is the most dangerous because the engine could self destruct by running on the oil mist in the intake, rather than the diesel.
Removing the keys will not make any difference - it will stop the diesel, but the engine is happily burning it's own limited supply of oil.
Guesss what happens when the oil runs out ?
If you are experiencing very low power, and you have no compression, timing or filter issues, then it could be the air intake system.
If you're not getting smoke, look for an air leak in the hosing.
If you are getting lots of smoke ( ie. more than normal ), you could be looking at a turbo.
The good news is that they're not that difficult to replace, just make sure you get either the same make/model as the current one, or get the exhaust and intake piping with the new one if different model - the plumbing is different - as I found out to my frustration !
Mat.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Check the air filter - it it soaked with water ? If so, performance will be down, and the amount of unburned diesel will be up - leading to black smoke ( unburned diesel ) and poor performance..