BX Galvanized Panels

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

G4EIY
My Cars:

BX Galvanized Panels

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,
I have read on occasions that some panels on the BX are galvanized.
Does anyone know which panels have this treatment.[?]
Cheers
Jon

Post by Jon »

I didn't think any of the BX was galvanised, and that it was only when the Xantia came out that there was some limited galvanising.
Citroen put great publicity into advising that the bonnet and tailgate were plastic on the BX, but I can never remember anything about any part of the shell being galvanised. I've just welded up the boot floor and rear chassis legs on mine, and not so long ago had to weld up the n/s inner front wing for a friend on another K reg example.
The Mk1 BX was quite bad corrosion wise, recall patching up front suubframes quite often, plus seeing rust in the doors. The MK2 was altogether better built and did not seem to suffer in this way.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Jon,
did you take some piccies ??? I've never seen a rusty BX. I always thought they simply didn't rust.
seeya,
Shane L.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Thank's Jon,
Yes, likewise, I have carried out similar welding tasks on all of my listed Citroen cars, and have never encountered any metal that even looked like it was galvanized.
I have used galvanized sheet for many repairs, grinding off the galvanizing on the edges where it is to be welded, to reduce the toxic gases produced.
Cheers
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

BX's do rust but can be quickly stopped / checked 3 weaknesses are
1. Front subframe - but only if you DON;T ahve a leaky engine! - Just dosh on some WAxyoyl or equiv and on teh front metal part of scuttle in front of subframe
2. The tiny gap in the inner wing lets in salt/moisture - dish on soem some sealnt here. - You'll see asmall aperture right at the top.
3. Rear wheel arch seam - protect as best you can otehrwsie easy weld/patch job
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

My old AX had no paint on the edge of the wing when I got it and for the year I had it it never rusted. Didn't even look like it was going to rust.
Are they galvanised?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

As Jon has noted the boot floor is vulnerable at the point where where it joins the rear upright. For some reason this particular area doesn't seem to rust on the estates that I've seen/owned - just the hatchbacks.
BTW Paul, if it makes you feel any better about losing the green BX it's just developed a heater matrix leak and so I spent a very testing time last night removing my "spare" from the TGD I retired...
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

David - Heater Matrix went- sorry to hear that - I wonder if that's HG pressure looking for a way out? I hope not! Keep me informed I've got my fingers crossed for you.
BTW I Waxyoyled the front sub frame and front scuttle. I also added ,lots of sealant in that "gap" in front wheel arch and also on the rear wheel arch seams (about 12 months ago).
Paul
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

My old K plate BX had a hole in the area under the LHM tank, which I found unusual as the rest of th shell was mint.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Paul - many thanks for the sympathy - and the info about the waxoyling. Nothing suggests it's overpressuring at the moment and there's been no further leakage but a trickle of coolant is something I'm loath to ignore in case it bites back.