Head gasket?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

D.Slatford
My Cars:

Head gasket?

Post by D.Slatford »

Would like some advice as to some symptoms I've noticing on the 1.9TD Xantia I've recently bought. 139K miles, P reg.
It's munching through oil rather too quickly, in the space of about 500-600 miles it's dropped from the max mark to half way on the dipstick. Seems a little quick...
It's hard starting when warm, taking up to several seconds. Starts instantly from cold.
The coolant level, I can't tell where it's meant to be! In the coolant tank, I see no min or max marks. The level is a good three inches or so from the top, there's a couple of 'slots' down the sides of the chamber which might denote max or min, I don't know, but I'm sure when I bought it a month ago the level was rather a lot higher. However, there was oily muck stuck all around the insides, and some bits floating in the otherwise bright-green coolant. There's no cheese on the filler cap.
Does this sound like gasket problems? Can it be expected on an 1.9TD this age / milage? Where should the coolant level be? And, if it is the worst, what can I expect to pay an independant garage to replace it?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

As for the oil level. Don't fill it right up to the top it should like on many modern cars only be about half way on the dip stick. It sounds like it's burning off the excess oil so this would account for the hot start problem. The water also sounds as though it's been over filled and it's found it's own level. Should be about 2.5 inches from the top of the filler neck or there abouts. The rad cap could be worn and causing a loss water as steam. Personally I'd go for running the car for a week with out topping up the fluids. Check this weekend and make a note then check next weekend. If the levels are the same bingo all ok but if they have dropped then you may have trouble. Milage is nothing on these diesels. Old ZX had 152k on the clock and have run Citroens diesel with loads more.
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

Bleh, well, the oil light started flashing already today, since Sunday it's now fallen to just above minimum. Not checked coolant yet as it's boiling hot and the lights too dim now.
It's not really blowing any smoke when running though, least not after the first few seconds from startup. Not a hint of any external leak either. Where the heck is it going?!
Oh well, looks like I'll have to book it in somewhere. Driving from Leeds to Bristol for the weekend too, it better hold out for that! Can <i>anyone</i> give me a ballpark figure as to how much I can expect to get ripped off for removing the head on one of these things, just so I know how naughty I'm gonna have to get with the credit card?