Juddering Xantia clutch (or not)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andylal
My Cars:

Juddering Xantia clutch (or not)

Post by andylal »

Bit of a funny one this!!, yesterday the clutch on my 19td became quite juddery when changing up or down, concerned that my clutch may be on the way out due to it already being very high. however this morning when i pressed the clutch i felt a slight resistance through the pedal and heard a sound rather like a frayed cable inner being pulled back into it outer cable, the clutch now feels like a new one still quite high but not as heavy and not juddery at all, could it be the affore mentioned clutch cable e.g due a new one, or should i let it develope and see what happens?. any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If it is a frayed cable better to replace it when you have the car where you want it rather than wait for a roadside breakdown. I would see to it now.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Can you check the cable end on the gear box? there may be some free play or signs of breakage. Like JohnD says better to look and fix where you have it then on your way some where.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I have experienced a good clutch judder which turned out to be a small coolant leak squirting into the inspection hole on the bellhousing and hence on to the clutch, water in this area can cause judder, was it raining hard?
Stewart
andylal
My Cars:

Post by andylal »

thanks for all help,
The answer to the raining question is no it was dry, i have now come to the conclusion that the clutch is on its way, it seems ok at first then the juddering increases probably with heat,the bite point is right at the top, adjusting i believe will only move the pedal position and not the bite point would this be a correct assumption? i have not had the vehicle very long hopefully i can get it done under warranty but i will have to wait and seee