Time for a new car

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

Time for a new car

Post by batwad »

My 306 was only ever meant to be a stop-gap between me starting my current job and saving up enough money to buy a newer car. Thing is, I love the car and over the last year-and-a-bit I've become a total diesel convert.
So there's only one option: get a 306 HDI. [:D]
I'll be keeping my eyes peeled over the next few months for a nice one, but after having an XTdt I definitely want all the toys again. I understand the GLX is the top-spec model of the Phase 3s, but does anyone know the differences between the LX, GLX and Meridian? I don't fancy the D-Turbo much as I don't agree with sports seats (being a larger man) and the fuel filler flap just p*sses me off [:(!]
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Well the issue's neither here nor there any more, as I looked at three 306 HDIs yesterday and stuck down a deposit on one [:D]
The only differences that I could see between the GLXs and the Meridian that I looked at were
<ul><li>Meridian had half-leather interior</li><li>GLX had electric windows in the back and front, Meridian only the front</li></ul>That's about it, really. I prefered the velour interior on the GLX, so it was always gonna be a GLX for me. [^]
The first one I looked at was a smart red W-reg with 83k, drove nicely and looked like it had been looked after, but with no service history I wasn't going to go anywhere near my wallet. [V]
Second was another W-reg, this time a deep blue Meridian with 52k. Drove a treat, had full service history but needed a clean (I was a little surprised the dealer hadn't done so already). Like I said, I wasn't overly keen on the interior and I think there was a leaf in the blower somewhere. What can I say; I'm a perfectionist [8D]
Lastly was an X-reg GLX in the same colour as the first one. Smart Peugeot alloys on this one, mostly immaculate apart from a bit of kerbing on one. Original steels in the boot too! History all in place, though missing owner's handbook - boo hoo [:)] Only downer was that the rear wiper didn't work, but I thought it was probably the motor which I know can be picked up from a scrappie for £15. I slipped the man a deposit and arranged to pick it up next weekend.
I feel like an excited child at Christmas, it's wonderful [:p]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Great, I would like to compare the TD to the HDi, let us know what you think of the engine and how it differs in the 306 to the older XUD lump.
On paper, the HDi looks top be fractionally slower even though it has slightly more torque.
Is it more refined, quieter at idle and smoother pickup at lower revs?
S.Dhuper
My Cars:

Post by S.Dhuper »

Hi, reading your post I can see you're over the moon, so it looks like you got a great bargain, so how much did you pay for it,and where from dealer/private?[:)]
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Ross, that's spooky - have you driven one [:0]? You're pretty much spot on with what you've said. It is certainly a lot more refined and quieter not only at idle but when giving it a bootload too. The thing that surprised me most was the complete difference in power delivery.
My TD doesn't do much until about 1700rpm, whereabouts it starts pulling quite happily, then all of a sudden at 2200rpm there's a big old kick of power as the turbo gets going which carries you all the way to about 3200rpm where the power tails off - i.e.: pretty much what you'd expect from the TD engines.
The HDi on the other hand is a lot smoother and more consitent in its power delivery from the word go. There's no big kick as the turbo kicks in, just a good strong pull throughout the revs. I didn't get chance to spot where the power starts to tail off; I'll report back once I've got the car if you like [:)]
The lack of kick certainly makes it feel slower, but I've got a feeling that my TD has been tuned up by previous a owner as it feels so quick [:p]. I shall certainly miss the big grin the turbo always put on my face, but I shan't miss the crappy heater and lumpy cold mornings. I'll also more than welcome the climate control and other refinements of the newer car.
Sudershan: I ended up paying £4,750 which seems to be about the money for them. It was a private sale.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Sounds like a lovely car. Very tempted myself to sell my old 306 TD and get a nice HDi. What did you get for your your xtdt?
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

I haven't sold the old car yet as I'll need it until the weekend when I pick up the new one. I'll probably be asking about £1,200.
What do people think its worth?
1994 306 XTdt in Regency Red
75,000 miles, lacking service history but well loved in the year I've owned it
Taxed until June, MOT until July
Power assissted steering
Full electrics (windows front & rear, mirrors and sunroof)
Remote central locking, alarm & immobiliser
Plush velour interior
Body coded door handles, mirrors & front & rear valence
Alloy wheels
New pads & discs on the front, new shoes rear
Cambelt changed last year
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Well I sold the old car for the asking price of £1200 no problem; the first person who came to look stuffed a wad of cash in my hand [:D]
Pics of the new car here http://oh.is.it/pic/index.php?path=car/ ... G_2550.jpg if you're interested.
After bombing around for a fortnight I've got to say I'm thoroughly pleased with my purchase, and having done 320 miles on half a tank is quite nice [8D]