2.1 td xm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stephen burch
My Cars:

2.1 td xm

Post by stephen burch »

I've been offered a 1994 XM 2.1 turbo diesel automatic for nothing. It has turbo sd written on the front doors and has velour electric seats. It needs a hydraulic pump, N/S door mirror, interior mirror, MOT and tax.It's been standing since the pump ran dry and this is what concerns me. The mileage is 170000 and its a metallic grey. I know nothing about XMs so should I steer clear I believe that the car has been reasonably well looked after apart from the dry pump.Is the 2.1 auto version sought after? Any info much appreciated.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I doubt being run dry would kill a hydraulic pump. You'll find if you prime the pump it'll probably start pumping again [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Simply fill up the reservoir with LHM, then do a test startup to find the cause of the dry run.
In some cases the only cause may be a failing reservoir low level indicator (and thus owner neglect), but most likely you have a leaking hydraulic line somewhere. It's not that bad to DIY repair. It's just a different kind of work than you're used to from other cars.
If you're a Car DIY'er, you'll simply find this car widens your world of DIY challenges easy to overcome [8D]
The 2.1TD lump is always a turbo, and known as a sturdy workhorse. As always with diesels, you MUST keep an eye on a perfect cooling system.
The XM is the upper range Citroen model, meaning you get a real nice car. I truly believe you're hooked if you go for a testdrive [:D]
And with this forum to back you up - what do you have to fear [:p]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You'll be getting the last of the manual injection models - hopefully with a Bosch injection pump. After '95 they fitted a Lucas electronic system to the XM TD12, and it was nevewr thje saem again . . . The TD12 engine (12 valves, indirect injection, turbocharge and intercooled) is one of the most long lasting engines PSA have ever made - if reasonably looked after (oil and filter changes every 10kkm) it will last to well over 500,000 km. As Anders says, the cooling is very important - there are a couple of nasty cheap hoses on this engine that are known to blow at about 250,000 km - 300,000 km. If you do a search for XM coolinfg you'll probably find the reference.
Otherwise - it may start ticking from one or more of the hydraulic valve lifter - this can go on for ever as long as you aren't irritated by the noise. The water pumps last about as long. Cambelt changes at 120,000 km. Alternator brushes at 200,000 - 240,000km.
As far as the car is concerned, it's very frugal - in fact the XM TD12 is actually cheaper on fuel than the equivalent Xantia. Keep the height control rod and linkages well lubricated and check the condition of teh rear trailing arm bushes - if they are OK (no extreme negative camber at full height, check to see if a previous owner has fitted grease nipples to the top of the bearing housing, if so, grease twice a year, othewise contemplate getting two fitted. I've had nipples on my own '93 XM TD12 since it was new and the rear arms still move up and down easily by hand with no lateral wear at all.
You cannot neglect servicing of the autobox. In fact, try and get hold of the service instructions for the contemporary SAAB 9000 auto - it's the same box, but Citroen have turned it upside down! I believe the Alfa 164 also had this box. SAAB give more complete service instructions that Citroen (adjusting brake bands - something that Citroen workshops never do (since its not in the service book!). You can get the engine adjusted to give a little more power and torque by Van Aken or Allard, but make sure they don't increase the torue to more than the V6 gives - otherwise the box won't take it (V6 has same box).
I'd be concerned as to why the Hydraulic system suddenly lost so much oil that the pump ran dry. Whats up, doc?
If the pumps shot, you mosy likely have the single outlet pump and flow divider valve - in witch case you can fit a CX or BX pump (just check that the inlet and outlet are pointing in the same direction as yours.
Get the spheres checked and changed/charged if they are low.
Congratulation on becoming a Citroen afficianado!
//NiSk
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I Almost forgot an important check - take a small screwdriver and try and push it through the upper front strut mounting plate (the black bit exposed through the hole in the strut mounting, close to the front spheres)- this is a weak point on SOME XM's it appears that one of Citroens suppliers didn't do a very good job of rust proofing these plates. If it fails the screwdriver test you MUST get it fixed before the strut suddenly appears through the bonnet!!
//NiSk
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

170K is way past the "best before" date for the autobox if it's had typical (lack of) maintenance. Unless the oil has been changed regularly, then anything above 100K is a bonus. I run a 2.5 manual XM, but have been monitoring XM forums for about three years, and this is based on observation. Bad box oil smells of burning, so I understand.
But if you get a good XM, there's nothing like one! You may become addicted. They are not such a nightmare as is made out. And there's plenty of help around.
rg