'99 Xantia 1.9 td gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NiSk
My Cars:

'99 Xantia 1.9 td gearbox

Post by NiSk »

Does anyone know if it is realistic to try and fix an ML5T gearbox from an XM TD12 to said Xantia (1999). Reason I ask is that I have 2 such gboxes and the chance of picking up a very nice Xantia break with a busted ME5T 'box and Xantia gboxes are like hens teeth over here.
//NiSk
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi Nigel,
I've thought about this, and think its a lot of work. The Xantia 1.9TD uses the BE3R box with the famous pull clutch (release bearing is part of cover plate). I know that you can mate the 1.9TD unit to the ML/ME5 type box as Citroen did it in the Dispatch/Jumpy vans. These use a conventional clutch arrangement. To get the ML5T into the Xantia, I guess that you're going to have to source Dispatch 1.9TD flywheel or (ideally one from a Xantia 2.1TD)with suitable clutch and I think that the box would go on. I have concerns about driveshaft lengths though, I think that you'd be looking at shafts from a Xantia 2.1TD with the ML5T box. Which must be even rarer than hens teeth!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Did the 2.0 16v not have the same gearbox as the 1.9td ?? If it did that would probably give you more choices.
Failing that, find something else with a BE3 box (Peugeot 306 / 406 / Citroen ZX etc etc).
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The pull clutch box also gets into ZX TDs, peugeot 405s etc etc
Stewart
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Thanks a lot for the input - the reason I asked is that I'm on the look out for a replacement killer having pranged by faithful '93 TD12 (with 530 000 km on the clock) on the front of a rather large Volvo FH12 (strange isn't it - I spend a lot of my time writing workshop manuals for that lump!) However it certainly increased my faith in the incredible strength of the XM passenger cage - it was still possible to open the passenger door, despite a direct hit from said juggernaught.
However - a new project has now attracted my attention - a late XM TD12 (98) Break that has suffered a broken cam belt and is going for a song WITH a new head (the old one is already removed and showed no signs of piston damage, just one or two bent valves). So when I've given it the eye, it may well be my new project.
In the mean time I'm driving around in an '85 PETROL audi 100 avant that I picked up for £250 incl. a years MOT and tax! (we all have to suffer in order to appreciate the finess of Citroën!)
//NiSk