406 Electrics

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Malcolm
My Cars:

406 Electrics

Post by Malcolm »

Hi,
got the 406L diesel night before last. Performs a lot better now I've got the turbo connected. I've got a few electrical issues that I hope you may have some experience of.
1) Fuel gauge is either off or on i.e. full deflection. It was indicating just under half full for a while which I believe was a true reading. Pressing on instrument panel in that area usually changes it from off to full deflection. I assume it's a connection issue in back of instrument panel. Anyone else had similar?
2) Still in instrument panel - trip and odometer very poorly lit. Switching on lights make it visible but still not very good. Could this be linked to fuel gauge issue?
3) Rear high level stop light. Again poor illumination.
4) I know it's only the L and doesn't have rear door switches. Will it have a standard wiring loom and the wires somewhere in the door posts? If yes would they be obvious or do you need to know where to look?
I am getting rid of my old faithful 405GLD, done me 175k since new in Feb'93. This has a Peugeot fitted towing bracket . Are the 405 & 406 sub frames same with respect to this attachment?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by 35568968 »

the first thing I would check for with the instruments is a bad grounding, may even help with stop light
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Yes, sounds like a dirty/corroded earth somewhere.
In my experience they do tend to use the same wiring loom across the range, so in a low spec car you may find lots of wires around that serve no function (like the heated seats and rear leccy windows in my 306!).
The wire for the door switch on mine peeks out of a little hole in the post by the hinge (i just replaced a couple of door switches recently) Very easy to lose the wire and connector inside the door which is followed by half an hour of swearing while i try to fish it back out using a pair of long tweezers.
Does your car have these holes where the switch should be located? It may be blanked off with a rubber sheet or something.
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Hi,
thanks for the advice. Good point the earths. I've looked at wiring diagram and can't find a common one. I'll have to do some investigation at weekend.
In the door posts there are blanked holes where I would have expected to see them. As you say half an hour when you lost a wire. It's just knowing where such has been taped for storage. I remember swopping an interior light from one Cavalier (with a light out delay) to the new one and I was a wire short. Someone told me that 'the trade' tie them back on a need to know basis. After a bit of blind fishing in the roof lining I managed to locate it.
Thanks again, Malcolm