Fuel + starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

morgan73
My Cars:

Fuel + starting

Post by morgan73 »

Hi,
I have a 97 P,xantia 1.9tdi. It's a bu88er to start when cold. If I squeeze the fuel bulb thingy under the bonnet, it'll start fine, just loads of smoke.
Does this mean it's a blocked fuel pipe? or air in the fuel? or fuel injectors? or something completely different.
This is nearly everytime when the car's cold, but also sometimes when it's warm.
Thanks for your help,
Morgan
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Morgan, my immediate thought is an air leak allowing the fuel to run back toward the tank. The 'loads of smoke' could be a puzzle or it's a sign the heater plugs are on their way out or gone even. How many miles on the clock?
You may have a couple of issues here and the air leak was the last straw.
From other threads on here I notice that the fuel filter housing is a common culprit for air leaks from either the lid or the water drain tap at the base. I am sure others will offer some ideas too. R.
morgan73
My Cars:

Post by morgan73 »

134,500 miles, and plugs replaced last december (about 6,000 miles ago). I assumed that the smoke was unused fuel. It's only when I've had to squeeze the bulb and stops more or less straight away. Just one great big cloud! Not much fun for the people stood behind!!