Xantia Suspension ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Xantia Suspension ?

Post by xantiatdsx »

I have a 94plate 1.9TDSX hatchback. Recently I have been aware the the suspension has been changing from when I 1st got the car. The front seems more bouncy and harder while the back seems to be banging over holes and drains and quite free to move? Anyone any ideas? The suspension goes up and down on the lever fine with no funny noises (just dead slow) and there is no pshhtt from the acumulator ever! Is there suposed to be? If you cant guess this is my 1st hydro-Citroen!
Has anyone had this problem or any ideas what it is?
Thanks
TIM [|)]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Tim, these are classic suspension sphere symptoms. You will need to replace all six spheres but don't panic. If you are remotley handy with a spanner, and you dont actually need one, they are a diy change job.
Use the search function on top rigt corner and search around. Loads of links and detail. Cheapest source of good spheres is GSF.
The only repeated warning is never get under a Citroen without stands and or ramps. The suspension can collapse with alarming speed and crush you.
Robin
xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Post by xantiatdsx »

Cheers for that, will they get worse and worse then?
Best get ordering some bits I guess! Come on pay day!
TIM
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Totally flat spheres can make the car very unpleasant to drive and arguably dangerous. If you are changing all six then change the LHM fluid too. You should really flush the system with a product called Hydraflush by putting this in and running the car for few hundred miles and changing it for the proper LHM fluid. You need to bleed the brake system through too. This is not really essential but worthwhile. It will avoid future problems if you can do it.
Get a Haynes manual for the car. Not a wonderful piece of writing and can seem like fiction in places but still worthwhile. A sphere changing tool is useful, I have one here if you happen to be near enough, I am in Cambridgeshire. Good luck, Robin
xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Post by xantiatdsx »

Right, I'm pretty new to all this and abit confused still. Going to have to read up alot of information. If I understand correctly its worth changing them all at once, 1 x N45304 (front accumulator), 2 X N45332 (Front spheres), 2 x N45366 (rear spheres) and 1 x N45372 (rear antisink sphere)? Is that all, lol? Hope they all come labled up as ill be stuck otherwise! Got to read the haynes for this by the looks!
TIM
xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Post by xantiatdsx »

hmmm. just looked over the list again, should it be a centre sphere rear N44354? whats the difference?
TIM
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

The four corner spheres and the front sphere on the engine block just screw off and replacement is the reverse but with new seals. The rear centre sphere is a bit different in that it has a pipe attached. The trick here is to unscrew the sphere off the pipe to preserve the nut and fitting, otherwise it can shear off.
For the rear units it can help to leave the system pressurised in order to hold everything in place while you just crack the seal on the spheres and then release the pressure from the system. See Haynes for details! With the system depressurised the rear units are loose and seemingly unattached which can be rather alarming at first. The rears can be a bit of a b****r to free off if your unlucky hence the removal tool.
Robin
xantiatdsx
My Cars:

Post by xantiatdsx »

cheers for the information. i am in Derby so will have to pass on your kind offer of the tool.
Cheers
TIM