The trials of removing XM engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doc
My Cars:

The trials of removing XM engine

Post by Doc »

I am in the middle of preparing to remove the 2.1 TD lump that passes for an engine from my XM. In a previous posting, I described how the cambelt tensioner has failed in the slack position and to replace it, the alloy engine mount casing has to come off. I decided to remove the engine to make this easier as well as fix some oil leaks from the turbo area. Everything was going well until this morning, when I tried to release the main exhaust flange bolts. Not only are the bolts inacessible to anything but a mechanically competent octopus, they are also rusted and look like 'Time Team just dug it out the ground. Just ripe for snapping! The steering rack heat shield blocks any attempt to get to the furthest bolt and when I managed to get a 10mm socket on the only bolt I could reach, I couldn't turn it as just about everything else prevents the spanner/socket/swivel bar turning. I have used several universal joints from the socket set yet nothing works. I have to assume the factory fit the engine/subframe and exhaust in one process as even from the top of the engine I can't get to them.
So, effectively I'm stuck now with a 1.5 ton paperweight in the drive unless I can somehow get the tensioner assembly and cover off the engine. Hell, even pulling a five cylinder Fiat Coupe engine to change the belt was easy compared to this! If I can't solve this problem the XM and I will part company, which is a shame as over the last 3 years it's been a fantastic car. [V]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There are times when you lose your temper [B)]
To be honest, then your problem description sounds almost exactly like when I did my BX19D (not even turbo) years ago. Main problem is the inlet + exhaust manifold seems to be "stacked" on top of each other, denying access to any bolts.
To lift out the engine, I'm pretty sure you have to remove the radiator, as then the engine can be allowed to tilt forward while lifting, and then the still fitted manifolds should clear the firewall.
This (should) limit your efforts to disasemble the exhaust downpipe and remove the driveaxles.
Please note that removing an engine from any modern car is a huge DIY project, likely to cause the best man frown in despair [8D]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I changed the head gasket on my '93 TD12 a number of years ago. This involved, naturally, removing the head. I got some advice from an experienced Citroën mechanic that the way to do it was to first disconnect the exhaust at the flexible link, then support the engine on a trolley jack while disconnecting the right hand and rear centre engine mountings, then lower the engine on the right hand end and tip it forward by lowering the jack. This gave me enough space to get at the manifold bolts and allowed me to lift the head off (which Citroën themselves say is not possible due to the length of the head bolts - they jam against the bulkhead).
I think you might find it possible to use this method in your current situation.
//NiSk