Help? Is there no hope?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Help? Is there no hope?

Post by Jon »

I just bought a K reg BX TD off Ebay for £165 quid. [:D] [:I]
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Well done Jon, I promise you, you will never look back...
What's she like?
Jon

Post by Jon »

I don't know!!!
I've just emailed the seller in the hope of collecting the thing tomorrow!
Its a K reg TZD Turbo with 113k, it drives but has no MOT. Could be a can of worms. More soon, I collect it tomorrow afternoon.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Welcome to the club, pop a 1.9TD in it and you can join the VW TD annoyer club!
Stewart
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I've just had a l'il look on ebay, and I think there is a lot of potential there, but not sure about the [3] Xantia wheel trims!
Seriously though it's done no miles, and does look like an honest car. Have you had a BX TD before? If not I think you just might be seriously impressed; they are damn fine cars. I came to mine via A and G series, and still enjoy every drive.
Give it a thorough service and get it sorted, and you'll have an extremely practical economical and fun means of transport.
Jon

Post by Jon »

This will be my 2nd BX TD, the first was (what turned out to be an Ex cab that had been clocked). On that car I did a new head, s/hand gearbox, rad, rear arm bearings, spheres, driveshafts, a very long list. After I finished it, I breathed a sigh of relief and sold it! I did however enjoy it when it was sorted out, hence latest purchase.
This latest Ebay special, I don't know what to expect.I know its got an intermittant ABS problem, but the vendor assures me that its oil and water tight (just come off the phone to him) and is a sound car. I intend to take it for Mot and see what it fails on. If its a good'un its going to get all 5 spheres, new LHM, new discs and pads all round, a timing belt, a rad and very possibly a clutch and cable, be tidied, then fitted with the 205 GTi 15" wheels I have in my garage, (painted "stealth" graphite grey).
If its no good its getting an MOT and going back on Ebay for more I guess.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Ah, well after that baptism of fire this one can only be better...
In my experience, most of the BX's still about tend to be either sound and worthwhile cars or total dogs; there is an unbelievably beautiful TZD Turbo Hurricane in metallic green living in Toxteth in Liverpool at the mo, here's hoping yours will be one of the good'uns.
Do give us a progress report when you take it into custody!
Good luck,
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Jon, when you use it for work, park it in your car park bit and i'll have a look, (get jealous more like) I have sort of fond memories of tzd's like opening the bonnet at 90 mph trying adjust the steering. Doh new roof, screen, and bonnet please.[;)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Jon....
You know how i was saying you wer'nt bonkers and all that.... Well now i'm not so sure!
You are gonna have to let us know how good this car is and im sure we will all be entertained by many more posts on the various bits you have to fettle. Good luck! [;-)]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I'm not sure what all you guys are worried about. A '92 model car is positively brand new & modern. My most modern car is an '85 CX. My oldest car is a '63 ID19...
800miles a week is nothing for a BX, it'll thrive on the use. Go for it Jon !!... And hey with the $$$ saved not buying a tediously boring modern car you'll be able to buy a CX2500 GTi Turbo as a backup car [}:)] [}:)] [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">there is an unbelievably beautiful TZD Turbo Hurricane in metallic green living in Toxteth in Liverpool at the mo<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
With locking wheel nuts, Jonathan? [}:)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Good Luck Jon. A Bx costs about 6 months in spare time to get right and will absorb about £500 to get it dead right. Then it will stooge around at 45+ mpg forever!
The intermittent ABS is not hard to fix and once you have lubed up the struts, it will feel a whole lot better. Lucky Mrs W!
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by uhn113x</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">there is an unbelievably beautiful TZD Turbo Hurricane in metallic green living in Toxteth in Liverpool at the mo<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
With locking wheel nuts, Jonathan? [}:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Funnily enough Mike yes...
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well folks, here I am just back from Crewkerne in my "burgandy" BX TZD turbo!
I'm in a good mood! Despite the fact that the A303 was a nightmare, and it took 3 hours to get home (I was lucky, the wailing baby was in the Blingo behind me!) this BX has the potential to be a good 'un!
1) Both original keys
2) Cit Tex alarm with central locking interface and remote still works!
3) Heater fan works and backlights still illuminate!
4) Drivers door has not dropped.
5) Fans came in and out as they should in A303 nightmare jams.
6) Good engine and box, lots of power, no visible smoke (pissed on Blingo HDi driven by my manic wife with screaming children when roads allowed)
7) Last 5 old Mots plus some history!
8) History shows rear spheres 2 years ago and timing belt
<i>On the down side</i>
Paint terrible, not even T cut will save this one
Accumulator shot
Filthy inside and out
Needs 4 tyres
N/s rear arm bearing ****ged
Brakes terrible
ABS light is up
n/s track rod end ****ged and rattly
Plus, it decided it wouldn't like to go over 1500 rpm on the way home, just as I got on a single lane bit of the A303, 15MPH, luckily people behind seemd to be sounding their horns at a silly cow in a silver Berlingo behind me. Pulled over, drained fuel filter and primed and it ran like a train after that.
Project BX starts this week with discs and pads all round, a washer tube, accumulator, chuck some other wheels and tyres on, sort the ABS, a full service, hydraflush and much more. I'll be doing the repairs needed plus some more and taking some pics along the way.
What was really nice, 6 years after the last BX was to adjust the drivers seat, settle back in perfect comfort and know that I'd done the right thing. [:)]
Love it!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

sounds to me like you got a good 'un. And you'll have hours of fun deciding what colour it should be resprayed!