sluggish 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vinny180
My Cars:

sluggish 1.9td

Post by vinny180 »

I am currently in the midst of resolving a suspension prob but I would also like to know can anyone shed some light on the fact that my xantia which has done 50 k returns approx 37 mpg and isnt anyway near as lively as my 405 pug with 150k and returning 45 mpg with the 1.9 td lump as well.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I have experienced the same thing.
I put it down to the xantia being then heavier car, and the fact that the xantia is also running the steering, brakes and suspension straight off the engine, the suspension has leak-back, and so the pump / regulator work hard to maintain the hydraulic pressure - and this aint free !
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wonder if your engine is still tight? Our zx 1.9D now has 67K on the clock and is running beautifully. My wife and I were commenting the other day that it seemed much faster than when we got it nearly 2 years ago with 53K on it.
Another possibility I have seen on here is that perhaps your exhaust is blocked or restricted, possibly a symptom of too sedentary a life.
jeremy
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Just like my dad's 405 and Xantia. I really dont think the Xantia works properly (i.e. it has a fault). I know there is very little turbo boost on his.
As far as the power required for the suspension goes it is a maximum of 2 or 3 hp every now and then. It'll be a couple of hundred watts when idle I would expect. I doubt that you would notice it. If it took a serious amount of power then it would need a load of heat exchangers and cooling as the LHM would be boiling.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Air filter and injectors OK?. Tyre pressures OK? My old ZX td with 152k went like a dream no stopping it. After service even better.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

The load of the hydraulics is negligible.
1) Check the tension of the throttle cable. (Adjustable by moving 'R' clip thing).
2) Give it a damn good thrash.
Good luck,
johntaylor
My Cars:

Post by johntaylor »

Look at the more simpler things please;
have a you an air intake restriction? check your filter.
Do you have a lot of inburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust when accelerating..... it will be obvious in your rear mirror....if so it could be your cam belt is not timed correctly or a fuel delivery problem. Check the travel of the accelerator cable response on the pump take up. has this car run correctly whilst in your ownership???
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

my xantia td has 130k on it and it goes realy well, my wife has a focus 1.6 zetec 100hp and my xantia feels much more lively than this especialy say if you are doing 70mph then put your foot down it will leave the focus for dead.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Vinny, check your injector pump, make sure its not a lucas one and if its not, put about 5 ltr of vegi oil in the fuel tank (presuming you are running a diesel engine car). This will give the injectors a clean, also make sure your air intake pipe isn't collapsing when you rev the engine, this happened to mine.
Paul
Scottie
My Cars:

Post by Scottie »

ITS NOT THE SX MODEL IS IT?? THESE ARE "LOW BLOW" TD'S, NOT AS MUCH BOOST AS THE 405. DOESNT EXPLAIN THE FUEL CONSUMPTION THOUGH!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

It was the 'SD' versions that had low-blow turbos, not the 'SX'.
Scottie
My Cars:

Post by Scottie »

ooops! my mistake!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

No problem.
SD's were badged '1.9SD' down the side of the car, where the other 1.9 turbos say 'Turbo D'. They managed to be slightly less powerful than the 1.9D atmo version they replaced, but are mercifully quite rare !
Idris
My Cars:

Post by Idris »

Try a different brand of Diesel, in Malaysia this seems to work.
Also check air filter is still good, get rid of water in sedimentor, when was last time diesel filter was changed?, add diesel additive to clean injectors and treat diesel and try using some good quality synthetic engine oil.
Scottie
My Cars:

Post by Scottie »

How could the citroen bods make a turbo diesel less powerfull than an atmo??? The mind boggles!!!