Dashboard symbols

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

short_frank
My Cars:

Dashboard symbols

Post by short_frank »

When I start the car (97 1.9 TD Xantia) i sometimes have a flashing yellow light on the left hand side of the dashboard. It is shaped like a mixer tap with drips out. It goes after less than a minute.
Any help please.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I think the light you're referring to is the low oil level light. Maybe you're parked on a slope!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Has this just started suddenly? Have you fitted a cheapo oil filter? I would investigate fairly urgently in case the oil pressure is low; maybe it is just the sender.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

No, its the symbol for "Please give me a bath" - I bet it'll stop if you drive it near a car wash . . .
//NiSk
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by uhn113x</i>

Has this just started suddenly? Have you fitted a cheapo oil filter? I would investigate fairly urgently in case the oil pressure is low; maybe it is just the sender.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It's nothing to do with pressure, it is indicating the oil level is a whisker low.
You'll find it happens on most Cit's with it fitted, usually if you start the engine, stop it before it warms up and then restart it. It's more common when parked on a hill.
Just check the oil level for piece of mind but you'll get used to it. I ignore mine unless it comes on when first starting the car in the morning.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Mine always flashes for about 20 seconds if I restart the engine within half hour after a long run? The engine don't use oil, it's changed at each service and is always over halfway on the marker on the dip stick. Have you checked your oil level?
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Tony,
Ours used to do that also. Worried my wife and she always got me to check oil, but like yours ours never used any oil and I used to change it every 5k. In the end we ust viewed it as a Citroen quirk!
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

its not the water in the fuel light by any chance? symbol for that is a dripping tap!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Don't think any Xantias were ever fitted with 'water in fuel' light.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Oops - sorry, brain fart, Homer - I somehow read it as the oil pressure light! That's two pints I owe you now!!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Homer</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by uhn113x</i>

It's nothing to do with pressure, it is indicating the oil level is a whisker low.
You'll find it happens on most Cit's with it fitted, usually if you start the engine, stop it before it warms up and then restart it. It's more common when parked on a hill.
Just check the oil level for piece of mind but you'll get used to it. I ignore mine unless it comes on when first starting the car in the morning.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

Don't think any Xantias were ever fitted with 'water in fuel' light.
My Xantia has a 'Water in Diesel' light, comes on every now and then, it doesn't flash though, just stays on for a bit. I don't know if petrol Xantia's have this.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

If it flashes for 20 seconds or there abouts it means your oil level is low and needs a 'manual' check.
Paul