Vegie oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mucky

Vegie oil

Post by mucky »

A chap I met in the pub, Claims to be running his xantia 1.9td on 50% vegie oil and 50% diesel and by using asda cheap stuff has reduced his fuel to 62p per litre. Apart from the legal Aspect, will this do any damage to the car?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Just type "vegetable oil" into the search at top right of screen, and you will be reading all night......it's a huge subject and the web is full of links on this, and everyone has a different opinion!!
Basically, oil is oil, and it does work and shouldn't do any harm, but to do it properly and all year round you need to rig some kind of heating system for the veggie oil.
As an alternative, you could try lard......see "solid fuel" posting of yesterday..........
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, I run my Xantia 1.9td on a mixture of 10l of vegie oil to £15 of diesel, have been doing for about 18 months now without ant problems. Just make sure that you DONT have a lucas fuel pump on your car as they dont like vegie oil.
Paul
PS local supermarkets sell vegie oil for about 52p litre
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Anyone know what pump the ZX diesels have?
Jim_Reaper
My Cars:

Post by Jim_Reaper »

Cassini Extra Virgin Olive Oil 75cl
£15.99 a bottle at Sainsburys - works out at £21 per liter - mind you the way this gov is going with fuel taxation it may still work out cheaper!
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

I put sunflower oil in my BX from time to time - about 20% mixture - ran perefctly for 3 years like this - its career ebded by head gasket failure caused by total water loss on M25!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Anyone know what pump the ZX diesels have?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Braved the rain, scraped the muck off and its a Lucas (prince of darkness) Pump [:(].... well i will see how long it lasts! (its up for replacement anyway the ZX... saw a nice N plate ZX at the auction tonight, only it was pertrol!)
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I would advise searching the web for biodiesel. there's a page that explains why regular veggie oil works on certain systems and why it must be transformed.
Sorry for not knowing that link fellas...
Regards,
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

And I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the way that Broomies old BX runs these days. I have a mate with an accessory shop. One of the regulars was going on about running a car on veggie oil and how it couldn't work due to impurities.
Martin and I not only convinced him that it would but we also explained that different
oils had different power characteristics which was why you just couldn't get first pressing Olive oil for love nor money because the German truck drivers bought it all for the truck racing series...
He went off to try a couple of litres of Extra Virgin in his Xantia.
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Anybody who wants to use veg oil in their car should have a look at the link below. The newsletter on that website makes good reading.
Vampire
My Cars:

Post by Vampire »

Nothing wrong with vegie oil i run by 1991 BX TGD on it and have done for about 18 months now no problems[:)]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">vegie oil for about 52p litre<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
46p a litre in Lidl- looks like diesel, too.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If the lucas pump has had a rebuild then its probably ok, it seems to attack natural rubber seals, ran mine for a good while without trouble (DTR 1887 motor, lucas pump)
Stewart
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I think damage to a lucas pump would be after long trem use
Paul
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Bought 10 liters of Lidl Vegetable oil (even has a double chevron logo on the lid... gotta be a sign!)
Will let you know if and when it goes bang (if i havent replaced it before then!)