zx 1.9d 1st gear selection

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rabenson
My Cars:

zx 1.9d 1st gear selection

Post by rabenson »

I've noticed that first gear can be a bit of pig to select on my ZX - just put it down to being a characteristic of the breed. I've cleaned and lubed the linkages etc and the change is really slick apart from selecting 1st gear when stationary. Recently I drove a BX 1.9d (j reg) and noticed that first gear selection was perfect. Do I have a problem with my gearbox and if so - any suggestions, Guys??
Ron
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Not really sure, could be the linkages with play in them. The ones in my 16v are shot along with my clutch. Bite point is on the floor and i barely managed to get it into any gear at junctions coming into work today, had to do all the other changes without using the clutch. Going to see if theres any more adjustment left in the cable at lunch :)
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

mine is the same... notchy at best, but very difficult when cold!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Just to be awkward (who, me?[}:)]) my ZX selects first perfectly. Have a look at the link with the large plastic bush in the end - you can see it down behind the engine. The bush has a habit of cracking.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Thanks Guys - I'll have a look at the links but I'm pretty sure they're ok - maybe I'll just have to live with it - not a major problem but a bit of a niggle
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

try revving the engine a bit, this helps mine sometimes. I also have to put mine into 5th before reverse else it crunches 90% of the time if i try and go directly into reverse
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Just as a general pointer, and here I confess I don't drive a ZX[:I]
There is often a connection between poor first gear selection and dragging clutches. Is the clutch on the ZX adjustable? If so is it fully clearing?
This will be far more noticable when the engine is cold. Regards, R.
johntaylor
My Cars:

Post by johntaylor »

Do you have the same problem on engaging reverse? If so it suggests that this is a clutch problem rather than worn synchro rings? Is the clutch clearing cleanly and any problems in engaging third from fourth? Usually a worn box throws this problem up first. It is unusual to have synchro problems on first gear. If the clutch is on its last legs the springs will allow the driven plate to tip and make contact unevenly thus creating a notchy selection.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If reverse is becoming a brute too then its pointing at the clutch being on its way out, my ZX one decided to do this very suddenly, dismantling revealed a pressure plate falling to bits.
Stewart
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Darren
Your clutch is dragging - either adjustment or a fault
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Mike: Turns out the nut on the end of the cable had unwound itself back to where I adjusted it from last time! Taken it back up and going to put a 2nd nut on with some loctite which should stop it moving again
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Darren
Woohoo! I would not bother with the Loctite - two nuts are sufficient - Loctite will make it difficult to adjust in future
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

ok cheers, would probably be impossible to actually get it on there anyway due to the farce that is the 16v's engine bay! More room in my Visa with its bx 16v lump !! :D