solid fuel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

banger

solid fuel

Post by banger »

I built a oiler that ran on lard once,only experimental though,it was started on conventional fuel and used heat exchangers from the coolant to raise the temparature of the lard where it then ran via tubing in close proximity to the exhaust before it was fed via a solenoid operated change over valve into the fuel pump,1 block of lard about 10 miles,the only drawback is you have a inexplicable urge for a bacon butty!
pinkandnok

Post by pinkandnok »

I am sorry but i believe you are talking absolute codswallop there is no way upon this earthly place that you could use something like lard to run a motor on , I believe you have an overactive imagination , do you have a medical problem like a.d.d or something , are you on medication? if so stay well away from cars and from here!
<i>Edited by moderators</i>
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Diesel engines in ships can be run on "heavy fuel oil", its not exactly runny, more like a thick treacly substance. It has to be heated and centrifuged before it is runny enough to be injected.
Lard will melt, and if heated enough it will have the right viscosity to be injected.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Pinkandnok. welcome to the forum. Although we all enjoy a little gentle mickey taking _(and we're very good at it!), straightforward abuse is very much frowned upon by our moderators as is unpunctuated textspeak, because many of our contributors and those we try to help do not speak English as a first language. For your information, lard, if raised to the correct temperature probably would be capable of running a Diesel engine. Many of our contributors have done extensive and useful research upon the subject of alternative fuels. Read up some of their postings and you may change your as yet uninformed opinion as well as saving a good amount of money.
banger

Post by banger »

The next time you have a fry up,hold a match to the hot fat,then tell me it doesent support combustion!
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Agree with Tom and certainly no offence Pinkandnok.
Its great to hear what other members have been up to - no matter how weird and strange they may sound initially. It's also fun.
From some experience with diesel fuel mixtures (miss spent youth). Any animal, vegetable or minerals products-- liquids and solids--(pre heated), that readily mix with the base product will run a diesel engine, once up to operating temperature.
Not to say - efficiently, and with no consideration to the levels of exhaust emission.
R
Peter
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

My V5 says "heavy oil", not diesel, which I suppose can mean just about anything, including melted lard-but there's no way my beef dripping is getting out from the sandwich and into the tank!!
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

bxbodger --you've just made your fortune.
Can you imagine in twenty years time when fuel stocks are low, going to the supermarket and filling your trolley with lard pellets for fuel.
Sir --Is that high or low salt-- Scottish or Argentinean.
R
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Go by quality - use danish LURPAK butter instead [8D]
- that would bring down the surplus of Europe butter production [;)]
banger

Post by banger »

I would recomend the low salt brand as it contains a lower percentage of harmful salts that contribute to injector & pump wear
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

This gets more bizarre by the minute. Someone else will probably know better, but I seem to remember reading years ago about big industrial engines which ran on injected coal dust.
Whilst on the subject of weirdness,a question for Anders.
whilst on holiday in Luxembourg this year I was drinking Belgian fruit beer with some Danes, who claimed that "Keeping up appearances" was the hot new comedy in Denmark this year!!!!
Are you all MAD????????
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes they are! I suffered 2 whole years of Danmarks Radio and I haven't been the same since!
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

With coal dust injection.
I believe it was during the miners strike.
But they had problems with the ash box clogging up and fire lighters kept going out. LOL
Well done folks.
R
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Many power stations used it in the late 70's and 80's. A lot cheaper than coal and a lot more of it 'lying about'. Seem to remember that industrial blast furnces use it as it burns very rapidly and at a high temp.
johntaylor
My Cars:

Post by johntaylor »

Last year the papers were featuring stories that diesels were being run on old chip shop oil. The formula for using it was widely available. Petrol cars during the war were run on pig manure! Anything that will create energy when burnt is a contender for power.