1.9td estate Preg brakes sticking on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ukmobileman
My Cars:

1.9td estate Preg brakes sticking on

Post by ukmobileman »

i have a 1997 1.9td estate (xantia)
the brakes seem to stick on when pedal is pressed (not fully but enough to stop two people from pushing car)
the pads and disos are no moe than 1/2 worn
they can release anywhere from 5 seconds upto about 2-3 mins
they are not fully applied
the calipers do not seem to be seized it's as if the pedal is being pressed
pedal is not obstructed by carpet or mats
hand brake works ok and releases
brake discs/ wheels are not overly hot to touch after being driven
is it a faulty brake valve? or something else?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That's a tough one not having the car to check it out [B)]
My first suspect would be if the handbrake cables are correctly adjusted - or have dried out.
Next suspect would be the caliper/pistons themselves, but not likely on a '97.
Has the car received regular LHM fluid service ?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Does the problem affect both sides or just one?
When you say the pads/discs are half worn, do you mean the discs are literally half their new thickness?
When this problem afflicted my BX it was caused by the discs being so worn that the wear lip was interfering with the pad release- a change of discs and pads sorted it-before the change the car couldn't be pushed-after it just rolled by itself!
If the problem only affects one side then make sure that the flexible brake pipe is not internally collapsed- remove it and blow through it both ways to check- I learned the hard way about this when I had a 205 with a sticking brake,and bought it a new caliper only to find it was still the same- it was only then that I noticed the dribble of fluid through the hose was not what it should be-grrrrrrrr[:(!]!.
It is most unlikely to be the calipers or Doseur at fault.
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

hi problem found but not yet fixed!
the return spring on pedal is either broken or disconected (now gonna look ) i can lift pedal up to dash and push down to brake valve there is no resistance either way pedal is free moveing
the lovely haynes maunal says remove complete fascia to get pedal box out!!!
can you get pedals out without ( i have done a dash out to do a matrix on my old xantia - not fun!)
UPDATE
the book of lies strikes again!
brake pedal return spring HA! i guess they mean the linkage pushrod spring assembly i can't see any actual spring on brake pedal
anyway fixed it, i lubricated the pivot bolt on brake pedal. the pedal now glides and releases fully
will need to disassemble t0 do properly at a later date i.e weekend (car is needed every weekday)
also noticed the vibration i got at 65mph has almost gone now
i have 11yrs experience as a ex ford mechanic hence i know discs pads are still ok,
but i have ordered a set anyway (i travel a 100 mile round trip to work and a 700 mile round trip to visit my kids at weekends)
hence a citroen diesel estate fits the job nicely!