need advice New to citroen cars

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crws

need advice New to citroen cars

Post by crws »

Hi, this will be the first citroen i've owned and replaces a dead rover 416. My question is basically from the lowest suspension point how long should it take for the car to raise to normal drive hieght. Bear in mind that the car is of the variety where you active the Hydractive suspension via a sliding lever within the car. I ask this as i think it is taking too long at 1.50 mins if this is so what can be causing it.
Many thanks
goose
My Cars:

Post by goose »

xantia or bx?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

For a Xantia running at idle this is not an unreasonable time. Can be quicker if the LHM Fluid is clean and all systems are 100%. Robin
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

It certainly can take a long time, especially if its a post late-94 Xantia with the twin outlet pump.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

My '00 Xantia HDi, with new spheres and new LHM takes about the same time. Last time I've tried, I noticed the back took longer than the front to rise. It takes a while to fill the pipes...
Still, inspect the LHM level (with suspension at Max. position).
I would worry if it would fail or take a long time to go from normal position to Max. position (or not going at all on the back or front).
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Hydractive activated by sliding lever? Guess you mean the sliding lever to manually adjust height.
My Activa does bottom to normal in 60 secs, normal to max in 30 secs. I know because I just went outside to check!
Takes about 40 secs to be up and ready in the morning.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I'd say 1 1/2minutes is quite good. There is only 2cylinders pumping the suspension up on the pump, my VSX xantia take considerable time to lift from flat. You see you first have to fill all those spheres, then lift the car ....
seeya,
Shane L.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Because i suffer insomnia its why i do these things at 3 am....
W plate HDi, not run for 2 days, stop to normal took 64 seconds, normal to max took another 35 seconds. Front raises first followed by rear, then front usually copensates a bit more. Stop light goes out after 25 seconds so pressure enough for brakes and steering.
Strange dance if turning right on full lock & applying brakes also NORMAL for Xantias and nothing to be alarmed about. They are a bit quirky but a lot of fun and a lot of car for your ££££. (and dont rust as bad as Rovers neither.)[:D]
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

To run a cold engine at idle for a minute or 2 before driving off will make your motor last longer. This is because it gives an opportunity for the lubrication system to become fully functional before the engine is loaded up with internal forces from revving up and from higher combustion pressures.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

No, I don't agree-(that's the trouble with the net- no unanimity). I have always been told that moving off as soon as possible gets the engine to its proper temperature quicker, thus avoiding bore wash wear. If the lubrication system were up to scratch, the engine will be fully lubed up within 3 seconds of starting.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by crws</i>

<b>the car is of the variety where you active the Hydractive suspension via a sliding lever within the car.</b> I ask this as i think it is taking too long at 1.50 mins if this is so what can be causing it.
Many thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That staement has me a bit befuddled; are you dropping the car when you stop and then sliding the suspension lever forward when you restart by any chance? If so, that could partially explain it as the hydraulic system would be drained.
Alan S
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Wife's 2000 HDi take only a few seconds(10 at most)for stop light to go off in the morning. These cars have anti-sink spheres so the "rise " in the morning is usually imperceptible. I think the few seconds is probably just for the system to pressurise, not to lift the car (as on her '93 Xantia and my old BXs) Incidentally, in the 2 and half years she has owned it I doubt she has ever touched the "sliding lever" let alone moved it - Hydractive has nowt to do with that lever. Only time I have ever used the lever is to occasionally check the LHM level (she's always asking me to check it, I know not why but do it anyway!!)
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Phil, Activa has a lot of spheres - takes a while to pump up.
PJ
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Panjandrum</i>

Phil, Activa has a lot of spheres - takes a while to pump up.
PJ
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
PJ,
There's nothing in the original post to indicate that it is an Activa so I think in many ways, we're doing a lot of guessing.
Alan S
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Alan S - Guessing and digressing! I was reflecting on the start-up difference between my 40ses and Phil's wife's 10 secs.
We still haven't found out if it's a Xantia yet!
And of course there's the possibility that crws was "dropping the car when you stop and then sliding the suspension lever forward when you restart" as you suggested earlier.
Hey - I see crws hasn't appeared since the original post. I hope he/she hasn't been scared off.
PJ