306 rear torsion bar

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

farmboy

306 rear torsion bar

Post by farmboy »

The rear suspension on my '95 306 dt is creaking.
I have removed the shock absorbers and attributed the problem to the rear torsion bar. I am informed that there is a bearing/bush. Is it possible to replace this yourself? Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Yes there are two needle roller bearings in them and they can be replaced, the job is a bit awkward if you do the inner one aswell as it has to be pulled out with a slide hammer.
The inner bearing usually survives though, the bad news is that they only fail due to water getting in and the rollers of the outer bearing can be almost totally consumed by rust, at this stage the trailing arm shaft is also scrap as the bearing runs directly on it, it becomes heavily pitted so a new bearing becomes pointless, most people end up sourcing a complete replacement axle/subframe assembly.
Dave
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
If you end up needing a new rear axle assy you can have a look at this link:
http://www.sspengineering.co.uk/
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

I've got the same problem - was just about to post a new message but thought I should search the archive.
Car is 1996 306 Spinnaker 1.9 TD with 78,000 miles.
Over the last few months there has been noises coming from the back end noticable at low speeds - put it up on ramps tonight and have pinpointed it to where the rear right trailing arm pivots in the axle/torsion bar assembly - it is also a bit black and messy where grease has been escaping.
Not sure what to do - its a fairly big job - sounds easier to just replace the whole lot in one go - but not keen on buying a £300++ part if it is just a bearing and a couple of hours work.
And don't want to take it to bits, find its scrap and then wait a week for the replacement bit to arrive.
Easiest is I suppose to put it into my local garage but who knows what cost that will end up at....
I suppose if I live with it for a while then there is probably going to make replacement of the whole unit more likely?
Farmboy you posted the problem in September - what did you do? Anybody else dealt with this recently?
Also is there any links or details someone can give on how to change the bearings - the Haynes manual tells you how to take the whole unit off which doesnt look too bad.. and says anything else should be "entrusted to a Peugeot dealer".
Any help or advice much appreciated.
Regards
Michael
1996 306 TD 78k miles
1996 106 1.5d 98k miles
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

I took my old car to SSP - Very good service :-D