tuning box on e-bay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meexi
My Cars:

tuning box on e-bay

Post by meexi »

Hi,
Has anybody purchased one of these hdi tuning boxes as they seem very cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... eName=WD2V
meexi
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Compared with VanAaken and other well-known boxes, they are remarkably cheap. Whether they are as good - I wouldn't know.
Kered

Post by Kered »

The question one should ask is
Why are they so expensive to start with?
Sounds like a classic marketing exercise: - Reassuringly expensive and what the market will bear.
I'm sure that my fellow "forummers" with an electronics background will agree that there's not that much in them.
Another point I would mention is that replacing the chip in ECU must be the better course as the ECU controls everything. Putting a box in line with only 1 sensor say common rail pressure sensor can't do a fraction of what a chipped ECU can. And my, aren't those chips expensive! Yes I know it costs money to get the data to put in them but it still sounds like a marketing excercise to me.
I came across a forum somewhere else (regretably can't remember where) where the comments were on the vast improvements that the boxes made. BUT if you take them off you notice no difference. Opinion seemed to be that if you put a box on then you drive in a more agressive style to get the best out of it. You think the box is great but really it's down to a changed driving style and all being in the mind!
Derek
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

If you do a search on Ebay for HDI and TUNING you will get several different ads for these. Some include quite detailed graphs of power and torque changes.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kered</i>

. BUT if you take them off you notice no difference. Opinion seemed to be that if you put a box on then you drive in a more agressive style to get the best out of it. You think the box is great but really it's down to a changed driving style and all being in the mind!
Derek
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nope, i have to say I <i>DID</i> notice a distinct improvement in the torque available on my Xantia after fitting a Dragon tuning box , the evidence being not only wasa i able to pull away quicker whilst towing my caravan, i was also able to overtake in 5th gear - uphill! Something i had not been able to do previously (even with my lead right foot)....
Im not saying its perfect, but im happy with it!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had my 1.9TD coverted on the fuel pump(mechanical).Before,it pulled the caravan poorly.Would only do about 55 mph flat out & slow on the hills.After,it will cruise at 60mph with plenty in reserve for overtaking.Will go up most hills on motorway in 5th now.
My next car will proberbly be my Dads 406 110 hdi in a few years.I would have no probs spending the £££`s again & having that fitted with a Vanaaken box.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I've also got a VanAaken box fitted to my 2.1 Xantia. Having recently moved on to a heavier caravan, the box has certainly improved the towing performance. Also, when driving without the van, and driving the car in my usual style, the fuel consumption has been slightly improved.