Xantia Alarm operation

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

derekjl57
My Cars:

Xantia Alarm operation

Post by derekjl57 »

I've had the Xantia for since May and I've never heard the alarm go off, so I was wondering what it sounded like, or, indeed, if it worked at all. So I sat in the car, closed all the windows and doors and locked it with the plip and then pressed the second button on the plip to dead lock it and activate the alarm. The indicators flashed and the little red led on the dash started flashing too. According to the manual, after 45 seconds the alarm should become armed, however, I waited over a minute and then started jumping around, waving hands in front of the sensors etc, but nothing happened.
I then stuck the key in the ignition, and turned, and THEN the alarm went off - so at least I know what it sounds like, but surely it should have triggered before then? I know that you can disable the "volumetric" protection (the ultra-sonic sensors in the doors), but I'm sure I haven't.
Any ideas?
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

That conjures up a delightful picture - I wish I'd been there to watch. You can't permanently disable the volumetric stuff with the dash button, but it seems that yours have become permanently disabled. Could be faulty; but mine, and others reported here, went the other way and got over-sensitive. Could be wiring; could be ECU; but those are shots in the dark. Maybe it takes longer than 45 seconds? Maybe I should try it later...
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

It is possible to disconnect and or disable the volumetric sensors at the control unit under the passenger seat. However first I would set the alarm with the drivers or passenger windows down and just leave it for while. If nothing happens after fiteen minutes then the sensors are either shot or disabled. I would bet a reasonable pint on the sensors being down or disconnected in the doors. The age of self determination for these things is around five years!
Easily replaced without pulling the door apart with car. The connectors are just below the mirror positions and can be got to with care and patience.R
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

So I tried it. Had to leave the window open to prevent claustrophobia. It took nearly 2 minutes before the alarm went off.
Robin: agree easily replaced with care. Also easy to pull off the plastic plugs that hold the plastic panel to the door.
PJ