Headlamp bulbs/update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Headlamp bulbs/update

Post by np »

After nearly 3 yrs,i`d like to uprate my headlamp bulbs.I already have Halfords own brand white bulbs,but their not as good as they used to be,more yellowish now(the h/lamp units are fine).
A nice white ilumination would be nice,staying with 55 watts.Main beam are great as i have 100w bulbs in them.Anyone have any suggestions?
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Philips bulbs seem pretty good, they do some high brigtness versions supposed to be 50% brighter for the same wattage. Or you could have a look here http://www.piaa.co.uk/
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Neil
Be careful - you will need to fit relays if you increase the current too much, otherwise your switch will lead a short but exciting life!
Do you live somewhere where you can actually <b>use</b> main beam?
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Osram SilverStar are my choice, I find them better than the Phillips, and so did Autoexpress when they ran a comparison.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I live on the outskirts of Bristol Mike.As a plant driver i do a fair bit of traveling around.Early starts,sites in the middle of no where etc,so plenty of main beam usage.100w been in for nearly 3 yrs with no probs yet,but had to uprate fuses etc in previous car,so know about that point thanks Mike[:)].
Thanks Stempy,but look at those prices!!![:0]
Thanks Reffro,i`ll have a look Sat.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I got a set of GE Super Blues (which aren't actually blue). They give a clear piercing white light. I got mine in Asda on Cribbs Causeway - they were reduced to about £4 each. Worth a look if you're close by.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arry_b</i>

<font size="1"></font id="size1"><font size="1"></font id="size1"> I got mine in Asda on Cribbs Causeway - they were reduced to about £4 each. Worth a look if you're close by.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
2 mins away!Live in Patchway,do our weekly shop there.I know they have a good motoring section,as i get the cleaning stuff there.A lot cheaper too.For instance,Magic Tree air fresheners,£1.50 most places,Asda,69p!Will have a look Sat.
Thanks arry b.[:D]
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

Have a look on Ebay. Item 7922618583 may fit or look at seller's other items.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Have a look at http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/
I got some Philips Vision Plus from them for the dipped beam on my 97 Xantia and have been very impressed. At the time they were cheaper from Powerbulbs than on ebay.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I have Philips Vision Plus in my dipped beams too.
I have heard that Osram Silver Star are better but I couldn't get hold of any locally so I went for the Vision Plus. The vision plus were a lot better than the standard Philips which were fitted previously.
The biggest difference I found was to keep the headlights clean, a coating of salt and road dirt really destroys headlight performance.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Well,at long last i`ve order`d a set of Osram silver stars from Powerbulbs.Will see what they are like & let you know.
p20

Post by p20 »

I've used the philips with good results in my old astra, much better than the stock ones. Be interesting to see how you get on with the osrams. Don't your 100w rally bulbs run a bit hot? I heard tale of them melting lenses.[:0]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Had them in for a couple of years now with no probs.Lenses look as good as new.Main beam is great.Good for getting middle lane hoggers out the way at night on the motorway[}:)][:D]
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

has anyone had a problem with bulbs blowing my xantia seems to eat them, i've tried bosch and cheapo ones and they only seem to last a few months.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Sorry to disallusion you, but bosch lamps = cheapo lamps. They outsource them and they come from the far east or eastern Europe. The only really reliable lamp producers are Phillips and Osram. Check out any of the recent magazine tests and you'll see what I mean . . .
//NiSk