Power Steering ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pain

Power Steering ZX

Post by pain »

hi all!
this is a strange problem, my power steering feels really weird, its like half working and half not?? when turning it takes quite abit of push to turn but nothing like when the engine is off (sorry its quite hard to explain!)
sometimes when turning it feels like normal but most of the time it doesnt feel right! ive checked the fluid etc
anyone have any ideas?
thanks
rich
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Mate had the same only last week on a Vauxhall Corsa. Turned out to be power steering ram seals had gone. Steering fine in a straight line but when you truned it would become 'sticky' and jerky. He just bought a new power steering rack.
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

My dads old ZX always had much heavier steering than my ZX until I replaced the struts and fitted new strut top mounts and bearings, after that mine felt heavier.
The old bearings in the mounts had completely rusted and partly broken up.
Could be something as simple as this.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

My power steering is VERY light in my ZX - but I think thats got more to do with the 'girly' 1.4 lump.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Pop the track rod ends out of the hub carriers and try turning the hubs by hand.
That'll give you an idea of the condition of the strut top mounts and lower ball joints. Which is where I think you're problem lies.
pain

Post by pain »

hey,
ok thanks for the ideas.. could it not be the steering rack or power steering pump? (i dont really know a great deal about this bit of the car so sorry if that doesnt make any sense!)
by the way.. it seems to be getting worse, i noticed it a week or two back but it didnt feel as bad as it does now.
thanks