ZX Ariel blues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FFX-DM
My Cars:

ZX Ariel blues

Post by FFX-DM »

So come on then chaps, how on *earth* do you remove the ariel? I wanted to put my car through the car wash, for speed (yeah, I know all the arguments against) but could not get the ariel off. The very helpful and ignorant petrol station attendant leapt on my car to 'help' and shifted the black cover a bit, but did not succeed. he did succeed in making a mess. I now have 3/4 inch of metal (knurled but and bottom of a spring?) showing which looks crap. How can I (a) restore it to normal and (b) remove the ariel if I need to?
oh yes, and (c) serves me right! [:(]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

What year is your car? On mine the ariel unscrews from the top leaving the housing in place. I think the housing can be removed by removing the interior light assembly in the roof from the inside allowing you to get to its fixings..
Sorry this is a bit vague, hopefully someone else will give you more detailed information..
Jon

Post by Jon »

The aerial wand should just unscrew from the base, usually hand tight, if not a 10mm spanner can be used to shift it. I hope?
If the actual base has been mullered, you get to that from inside the car, above the interior lamp I think. Its secured with one 8mm headed nut.
Long time no hear!
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

Hmm, perhaps it just needs a gentle soak in WD40 for a few days to penetrate the rust. Discovered that helpful yet cr*p attendant had also marked the paint on my A pillar, obviously with a chuncky belt buckle or similar, so I have some cutting and polishing to do. The moral of this story is don't ever even *think* about putting your car through a car wash. [:o)] I washed it by hand when I got home last night, BTW. Ho hum..
ps. nowhere to apply a spanner, it must just be grip and twist. My AX had a hex section and I kept an appropriately sized spanner in the car just for ariel removing purposes.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I have a friend who loves Ariels. He'll come and remove it for you, be it a Red Hunter, Arrow or Square Four.
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

I like Vincents myself. I couldn't decide on the correct spelling ariel and arial both looked good to me! Laundry detergent anybody?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I've come across some strange thing in my line of work but a mate who 'loves ariels' now that's just weird, but not in a nasty way more a quintessential English way.
Sorry changed my mind that's not the weirdest thing I've come across but it's a close second. Dont let those Eurocrats stop him!!!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I know people that like Ariels - I did have a go on a Square Four once. [:D]
Or are we talking about Ariel the Shakesperean sprite, or Ariel the Uranian satellite?
[?][?][?][?]
Oh! [:0] I think it must all have been about <i>aerials!!</i> A lightbulb has gone on inside my head, and I am no longer wondering why FFX-DM has a motorbike on his car roof, as pictured on the road sign! [:D][}:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Of course!!! [:I] Motor bikes. What a donkey I've been [:I]. But still as my last post says don't let those Eurocrats stop him. [:D][:D]Sorry my knowledge of bikes is a little limited to dads old BSA batam and Enfield, and the regular old Lambretta or vespa when I was a kid [:D]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Totally off-topic, Stuart, but the Square Four had a unique 4-cyl engine with 2 crankshafts geared together! There were some great bikes then, but that was when <b>we</b> made them; now, like cars, they all look the same [:(]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

My dad had kept the bikes from when he was a lot younger. I remember them as they had really been used. I first remember them as a little 'un' in 1972. But I do recall that engine. I always thought it was out out my step brothers mini van (olive green). Saw one only a few months ago at one of these 50's 60's history days they have a big old houses. That engine took me right back. Still looks like it from a mini to me.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Doesn't the Ariel wash off in the rinse cycle?