Aux. drive belt problem on xantia ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Danna987
My Cars:

Aux. drive belt problem on xantia ?

Post by Danna987 »

can anyone help. i have a citroen xantia 1.9 turbo diesel, S reg. aux. drive belt snapped, fitted a new one, tensioned it up ok. feels tight, but when i run the engine the belt appears to become slack and make a vibration noise, but not all the time. it`s the manual adjuster type but i can`t seem to see why it appear loose when running, anyone had this problem ?? anyone any ideas........HELP ME !! lol
it`s is the right belt fitted by the way
Dan
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Dan - Sounds as though you haven't got sufficient tension on the belt. Tighten the adjuster until you have only around 5mm of movement under firm thumb pressure on the belt midway between the pulleys.
Danna987
My Cars:

Post by Danna987 »

cheers for the reply jon, but i had full tension on the tensinor (leaver bar) so the adjuster square was at its full adjustment, the belts tight untill the engine runs then slighlty "flaps" causing a vibration noise.
dan
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

There is a spring loaded automatic tensioning roller on the belt run between the hydraulic pump and the crankshaft pulley, check the spring is not broken or weak, you should see this pulley rise as the manual adjust pulley is turned.
I fear though that the cause of the broken belt, and now the intermittent vibration of the new belt, may be due to the hydraulic pump not being able to discharge correctly, due to a faulty regulator not cutting out when maximum pressure is reached.
Listen to it for the tell tale click as pressure is reached, when the fault is present there might not be a click from the regulator.
Also when it happen's again, put the suspension on high, this will relieve pressure on the pump instantly, if the sympton's cease momentarily by doing this, then it point's to a possible regulator fault.
Dave