Greasing rear Linkages

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tony42
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0HDI VTR+ Technopack 150 Blue Tourer 2016
Citroen C4 1.6HDI VTR 2013

Greasing rear Linkages

Post by tony42 »

Hi
Probably obvious if i get under the car but does anyone have any details about greasing these linkages and were they are. I assume i have to take usual precautions by using axle stands to ensure car doesnt kill me. Are there any pitfalls or is it straight forward. I have done spheres(cit garage), greased struts and have hydraflush. I want to try the linkages option before having the valve in the rear system either cleaned or replaced. My problem i feel relates to the rear not dampening any series of bad bumps. Seems to jar over rough surfaces at the rear. It gets through to the seat which i think is unusual as my last xantia which was newer was a dream over any surface. It was a 1998 with 66000 miles while this is a 1996 with 144,000. Hoping that this may be the cure
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Tony, have you done all the spheres or just the four at the wheels? The final icing to the ride is to ensure the middle sphere rear and front acc sphere, front of engine, have been changed too. Remember to ensure the system is fully bled of air by doing Citeraerobics. Plenty of details on that if you do a search. Top right corner.
Greasing the height control linkage is a matter of good grease, rubber gloves and smearing 'it all over'. But only after you are sure the linkages are working at front and back. As in everything, take proper precautions hence the rubber and axle stands. R.
tony42
(Donor 2020)

Post by tony42 »

Hi Robin
I replaced accum and 4 spheres. My understanding is that the 6 sphere is just an anti sink which i do not want to replace as from reading other topics a good anti sink will just speed up loss of pressure on 4 wheel spheres. Is that right? I will grease the linkages. Didnt know there were linkages at the front as well.
Are these all connected to the adjustment lever at the handbrake in the cabin
Tony
tony42
(Donor 2020)

Post by tony42 »

one other point. When i change from normal height to rough terrain height. i need to rev hard to get the suspension to return to normal height. Its very slow doing this. I have done citarobics etc after changing spheres and hydraflush change.
rgds
Tony
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Tony, the spheres all play an important part in the overall function of the suspension. It is only when all six are functioning as designed that you will get to appreciate the true ride of this system.
The slow return to normal ride height could be the height control valves being a bit sticky and not opening or closing fully. The front height control unit is at the end of the control rod going forward. So it is easy to spot once underneath. (Usual precationary comment here)
If you carefully peel the cover back from the round cylinder you can see the piston inside and this needs lubricating and moving to free it off. You will have to be inventive here, moving the cabin control lever is the obvious means. Other than sticking a bit these valves are generally very reliable. Lubrictae the inside with LHM. I am not so sure about WD40 inside because of the effect it may have on seals. However the silicone rubber and plastic lubricant that can obtained from car shops is probably OK. Good luck. R