Xantia V6 ride height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiav6

Xantia V6 ride height

Post by xantiav6 »

I have just noticed that my car is too low at the front (about an 30mm above the lowest position), which would explain why it does not soak up speed bumps very well.
Haynes does not give a figure for the front height for a Xantia Mk1 V6, does anyone know what it should be?
Any ideas as to why it would have changed? the headlight beams are too low, so I presume it has dropped.
There does not seem to be any other problem with the suspension.
Any handy hints for adjustment? (I know about supporting the car while working underneath).
TIA
Mike
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Mike
If it <b>has</b> changed by itself, adjustment will not cure it. Use Anders' method to check height - raise car to highest, measure from (say) front bumper to ground, repeat at lowest setting, correct height is halfway between these
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

- as the "correct height" depends on so many variables :
* tyre make & type
* tyre size
* tyre inflation
* tyre wear
* finding the "correct" reference point
* un-certainty in the actual height measurement
* (non) level ground
- you better go as above [;)]
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

Thanks for the replies.
When I look at the mechanism, it seems to me that there are two places that can be adjusted (or maladjusted):
a) the clamp on the anti-roll bar
b) the end of the rod from the height control lever
I think the height is usually adjusted by moving the clamp on the roll bar, but wonder how to check that the other joint hasn't moved (or what are the consequences if it has)?
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

I adjusted the front height tonight, raised it by 60mm, which is still about 10mm below half way, but I think close enough.
I am now looking for speed bumps to test it on, but an initial test is encouraging.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

how did you adjust the height I've already posted this question but nobody seems to know
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

I was also surprised that I could not find well-documented instructions for height adjustment. Here is what I did....
<ul><li>First I measured the height several times using both the Haynes method and by measuring at the wheel arch with suspension in low, normal and high positions</li>
<li>Next I put the front of the car up on ramps which are high enough that I would not be crushed even if the suspension dropped to the lowest setting. I also placed axle stands below the front jacking points, set so that they would catch the car before the suspension hit bottom</li>
<li>Run the engine, set the suspension control to normal height and wait for the suspension to settle. Check the height measured earlier</li>
<li>Under the car, find the lever which is clamped to the front anti-roll bar. Loosen the 11mm bolt, but keep it just tighter than finger tight to stop the lever from moving in an uncontrolled manner</li>
<li>Gently tap or lever the lever around to change the height setting. Move the head of the bolt up to lower the height, or towards the front of the car to raise the height. I found the most convenient method was to lever against the oval hole in the bracket below the bolt</li>
<li>I did this without the engine running, so then I needed to get out, and run the engine to get the suspension to settle at the new height</li>
<li>Repeat until done</li>
<li>Tighten the bolt</li></ul>
Good Luck
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

The BX haynes has alot more detailed info and how-to's on the hydraulics(than the xantia one i.e. NONE) and tells you how to adjust the ride height. Are the systems similar?? If so I have a bx manual and will scan and post. I have found it invaluable for the Xantia. The XUD Diesel haynes (1.7TD and 1.9D) is quite useful also although it doesn't cover the 1.9TD but alot of the basics are the same).