Couple of Xantia probs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Davewall
My Cars:

Couple of Xantia probs

Post by Davewall »

Car -Xantia LX Forte'.....X reg.
Anyone had to fix a side airbag indicator light. This switches on (as it should) when the key is turned, then goes out then comes back on and stays on. No flashing.
The other thing is a sticky clutch. The actual clutch seems OK if you can use sufficient care with the pedal - cable perhaps ? or could it be the (latest) pedal linkage ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

By a sticky clutch what do you mean? - does it get stuck halfway? - or just not feel correct?
Cables can go sticky - you could try and introduce some thin lubricant if you can get one end off easily. Had this problem with our (much older) ZX when my wife complained of finding hidden power! I changed the cable and on taking the old one apart found that there was some white lubricant that had hardened and gone formed granules. I wasn't convinced at the time but its been fine since.
We also had a problem with the ZX that felt most strange - as though the clutch wasnt engaging properly and would produce a diatinctive knock through the pedals. I couldn't find anything wrong, pedal box bolts looked tight etc and went out to get the 4 figure manufacturers code to order a new cable. For some reason I decided to press the clutch down and then I noticed that it caught on a floor mat as the pedal was released and dragged the mat upwards so it caught the accelerator pedal before falling back onto the floor!
Jeremy
Davewall
My Cars:

Post by Davewall »

The clutch operates in a series of steps when releasing the pedal.
I think that, as you said, it probably is the cable - it's just that having replaced clutch cables on BX's in the past, I was hoping that there might have been another cause.
There must be an easy way to replace clutch cables on these cars but, other than with the engine out, I have yet to work out how.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

I thought my clutch was sticky too until I realised it got stuck on the carpet whenever I depressed it. The carpet is not original and smaller.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I have replaced 2 clutch cables on my R Reg Xantia 1.9TD (one twice but more on this later) and it is not too bas a job. Car on ramps and after removing the undertray release both ends of the cable. The cable can then be removed from under the car. It is a bit fiddly to put back and easier with two people.
The second cable went 'rough' after about a year. I removed it and fed silicon oil, the type from Wickes that is used to assemble underground drainage fittings, down both ends. The clutch is now as smooth as a baby's bottom.
Richard
Tinnie
My Cars:

Post by Tinnie »

Hi Dave - I had a similar problem with X registered Xantia HDI 110 on l/h front passenger seat, exactly the same symptoms.
I called out an auto-electrician, who diagnosed a possible faulty sensor, which he said is located under the seat.
After, I remembered, I had stored a can of de-icer fluid under the seat. Since removing the can I've had no further problems with side bag light.
I can only assume that the can disturbed the electical connection to the sensor.
Sorry can't offer help with your clutch problem.
Tinnie