Petrol in Diesel by mistake, What to do?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Petrol in Diesel by mistake, What to do?

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, my wife put £10 of petrol into the diesel tank by mistake. I told her to brim the tank with <u></u>diesel<u></u>. I once read (in a BX handbook) that in winter conditions, that you could put petrol in the diesel tank to prevent 'waxing' of the fuel. If I keep topping up the tank with diesel, the mixture will thin (or thicken) and go back to 100% diesel.
Will this do any harm? I understand that the engine may run hotter than normal and that it may smoke as well.
Am I ok to run it? draining isn't an option as we have a wedding to go to in 3 hrs.
Regards
Paul.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Stick a bit of veg oil in there too. £10 of petrol isn't much these days, looks like you'll have to risk it.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Concentrate on the wedding [:p]
- and you might even forget for good that your BXdiesel is running partly on petrol.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Should be fine, its true you can mix petrol in to diesel to stop winter waxing of the fuel. Modern automotive diesel has this added for you, although I believe its optional still in red diesel.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

£10 of petrol -- about 12 litres. Just add about 1/4 litre of std. engine oil. May run hotter, but allow to warm up fully before revving. Once you've cleared that tank full should be fine.
R
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I brimmed the tank, it has run okay so far with no difference at all. We drove 120miles, I am going to fill the car up again with Diesel....
Thanks,
Paul
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

UPDATE,
Have covered 155 miles and topped the car up, no problems at all. Mpg return is 55mpg, cracking or what? I may do this again (not)
Regards
Paul
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

55 mpg! Looks like i'm having a squirt of unleaded next time i fill up...
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Adding a gallon of petrol to a full tank of diesel once a year is regarded as a good injector cleaning tip by some...
FFX-DM
My Cars:

Post by FFX-DM »

According to Radio 4 yesterday morning, motoring organisations reckon that there are 120,000 wrong fuel incidents in the UK every year. Don't know how they get their figures. It's on the increase though, due to fuel companies fannying about with pump colours, inc one actually using the same colour for diesel and super unleaded!
xsaraowner
My Cars:

Post by xsaraowner »

new to the site - what a boring user name, but its an on the spot thing. anyway.
one fuel is lighter than the other, cant remember which though.
so basically one will sit a the top of the fuel tank. handy info if you ever make that mistake!!
just need to know which is the lighter of the two fuels!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Xsaraowner - thats true - petrol is lighter than diesel - however, both are petroluem based fuels, and they mix easily - so you won't get a chance at separating them that way!
However, water is heavier than both petrol and diesel and that doesnt mix, so if you get water in your fuel it will automatically fall to the bottom of the tank and . . trouble !!
//NiSk
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Thats why, if the warning light comes on, on your dashboard to tell you water is in the filter, drain the filter asap. Or as in my car, it flashes at random anyway, even when there isnt a filter in, when changing it..!!!!!
Paul
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

If only they'd thought of some sort of system with different shaped or sized nozzles and fuel caps that meant you couldn't do it!
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

They Have, only a lot of petrol station havent changed over. Unleaded is supposed to be small, then LRP and the biggest is diesel. Only, the petrol ones fit the derv ones.
Different shapes would be better, only they could spark therefore causing an explosion on the forcourt.
Not Nice to the paintwork
Paul.