Xsara engine mounts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeFrog
My Cars:

Xsara engine mounts

Post by LeFrog »

Ok, help me out chaps, before I go mad.
After talking to a couple of mechanics about my less than perfect idle, we have concluded that the idle is normal, but I'm feeling the imperfections when I shouldn't be.
Visibly, the mounts/bushes look OK, but how can I tell which one (or ones) are causing the problems which are:
1. Car and gear stick wobbles at 1100rpm (fast idle)
2. Gear stick wobbles when accelerating at low revs in 2nd gear.
3. Excessive engine movement when accelerating hard or lifting off throttle suddenly.
It's only done 30,000 miles. I've only had it for a couple of months and need to start enjoying it before it gets sold!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Silly as it seems, have you just double checked that the gear linkage is all Ok under the car. Before buying my VTR I did have a look at a 1.8 16 valver that had the shakiest gear stick and the dealer said he knew about the "worn selctor bushes" but this car had 96k on the clock. Shouldn't take too long just to jack up and have a look.
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

Thanks Stuart. I'll have a nosy at them today and see if I can spot anything. If they are worn, then this would probably account for 1 & 2, but not three.
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

OK, had a good look at the rear engine mount. I took of the bracket that connects to the bush and gave the bush a good old squeeze. I could hear some crackly noise, like a sweet wrapper. I also noticed that there was some light grey parts in there, that looked flaky. Does this sound like a bush on it's way out?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I'm not over sure about the engine mounts on the 1.8. But If it were me I'd go and change the lot. This would serve as a kind of zen like thing and releave your worries. It aint much to change engine mounts. And of course you will only have made them stronger. Have a look at the on line store for prices. As for the colour of parts . I can safely say that on my old ZX td when I changed the mounts the rubber had worn and was a kind of light grey in colour not black like the new ones.